1 year old niece in foster care

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizymatt

I live in NJ and have a 1 yr old niece in Florida foster care. We are in the process of having her placed with us and were told we would recieve financial help with day care and health insurance but now told we would not recieve anything and am now told they want us to adopt her right away. Florida says they wont pay outside there state and NJ says that she is part of Florida and they wont help. We are well able to take financial care of our selfs and our 2 children but with my niece being so young could not afford day care and insurance for her. I know we do have all the love that a child could need and dont want her to stay in foster care or placed with strange family. I need some advice and what are my rights. Thanks Kathy

Are child services involved?

Where are the parents?

There is a reason for my questions :)

The mother lost all rights. She gave birth while on drugs. The court gave her a 6 months to clean herself up and she didnt. They havent been able to contact her since leaving the hospital. My brother, the father who also has a drug problem went to court for her and they allowed her to live with him under child services care but in October he recieved a warrent for drug pocesssion and knew they were going to take her so he droped her off the our fathers in NJ. Florida found out and flew to NJ to take her back and she was placed in foster care since. Please let me know if there is anything else you need to know.

So Dad's rights haven't been terminated?

Is there a reunification plan?

Generally the goal is to reunite the child (and it often takes several chances) with at least one parent

Thats what I thought.
Florida children services told me that they have not been able to contact the dad and are working on terminating his rights. They seem very anxious to terminate the rights of the parents and have my niece adopted. My brother (the father) knew he was in trouble that is why he brought her to our dad to take care of her till he took care of his problem, hoping she would not be put in foster care. My dad would have taken care of her if it was short term due to his age, but Florida is saying it would be long term and now saying we have to adopt her. My concerns are also, she was born addicted to drugs. They say she is healthy and thats all. I just feel like their pushing this too fast and want to know my rights. Can she be placed with me without me adopting her, and if she is am I eligiable for assistance from the state and which state. The state she is coming from or the state I reside at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back