Consumer Fraud Wire Transfer Fraud through online banking

Status
Not open for further replies.

chigirl

My fiance and I have 3 joint checking accts with Chase. This morning we woke up to emails notifying my fiance that there were wire transfers posted. We logged in and saw that all three of our accounts had two transfers each totaling $1500 per acct. They were going to a bank in Mexico.

They were submitted that morning. We immediately called Chase and then went into a local branch. They put a recall on the transfers but so far we don't have confirmation that the receiving bank received the recalls or stopped payment. It turns out I didn't get alerts because the phone number was changed on my acct. Chase requires you to input a code they send via text before you can complete the transfer so they got the alerts, not me.

Chase says that it is the receiving bank in Mexico that will need to give me my money back and if they don't I'm out of luck. Would this not be covered under the Electronic Funds Transfer Act regulation E? If not do I have any other action with Chase?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Have you contacted law enforcement? Start there then provide the case number to Chase.
If you don't report a crime they may assume you are in on the scam.

Have you contacted law enforcement? Start there then provide the case number to Chase.
If you don't report a crime they may assume you are in on the scam.

Yeah we did that this morning. Chase didn't ask if we did or not or even suggest it yesterday when we were there with them for 4 hours. I would think the fact that we freaking out about why they weren't contacting the receiving bank immediately to stop the transfer since it had just occurred should show that we weren't involved. Of course since the money was sent internationally the police report is nothing more than a formality.

Yeah we did that this morning. Chase didn't ask if we did or not or even suggest it yesterday when we were there with them for 4 hours. I would think the fact that we freaking out about why they weren't contacting the receiving bank immediately to stop the transfer since it had just occurred should show that we weren't involved. Of course since the money was sent internationally the police report is nothing more than a formality.

The perps are very clever, or you might not know everything.
I use Chase.
I wire money internationally for our import-export business.
Before Chase would allow me to wire my first transaction, I was required to jump through many hoops.
I am still forced to perform parlor tricks occasionally, randomly five years later.
So, these perps that clipped you are very, very clever; meaning all hope for you is lost.
Or, someone very close to you has done the dirty deed, or assisted the dirty deed doer.
Outside of yourself and your friend, does anyone have your relevant banking details?
Thinking about those questions, answering them in your head to your satisfaction might help you solve this caper. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back