Wife's work device

Stressed4760

Jurisdiction
New York
I am on probation for a sex based offense. I can not have a computer. Phone monitoring is in place. When probation first inspected our home, my wife's work computer was given an OK. It is in a locked office, is password protected and there is also a fob,that only she has access to. My wife had temporarily moved out, then back in. My new po is now giving her a hard time about it. This is Federal owned equipment, that runs through a federal database. HIPA restrictions apply. It has gotten to the point where my wife may lose her job. Not sure what to do about this.

Do you have anything in writing from the first inspection?

By the way, why should she lose her job? All she has to do is refuse to remove it and you get violated.

You have what to lose. Not her.

You should be talking to your attorney about getting your probation modified.

Do you have anything in writing from the first inspection?

By the way, why should she lose her job? All she has to do is refuse to remove it and you get violated.

You have what to lose. Not her.

Nothing in writing. They seem to make it up as we go. My lawyer was a joke.

I will thanks.

Has your spouse considered removing herself and equipment during the time she's working?

Once she's done, she could store the equipment in the home of a relative, friend, or with other trusted persons.

In fact, she could choose to store her equipment locked inside her employer's premises.

You might want to discuss with your PO if he/she could arrange for you to reside in a "halfway" house, because she's the only
"breadwinner" at this moment in your home.

Your issues are causing her pain, too.

There are many options available, you must be cautious.

What you're arguing for is probably going to force your PO's hand.

By the way, just because you're not in prison, doesn't mean you don't have to adhere quietly with prison rules.

Legally, you're a convicted felon.

Don't make more problems for yourself, pal.

By the way, why should she lose her job?

Because having the computer placed where a convicted criminal, likely a felon, would put the privacy of patient records at risk. That is her responsibility to secure those records in the home from access by anyone else. The OP would be there until he was violated and sent back to custody. That provides a period of time when the records would be at risk.

I agree that's a good idea, but the OP should not go into that with high hopes. For convicted sex offenders that prohibition against computer access and use is very common, and I suspect the courts will be reluctant to modify that restriction.

Back