What is the possible outcome of obtaining custody of a family member

Niylah_1

Jurisdiction
Connecticut
I'm a very concerned family member in a complicated situation which is unfortunate, and heart breaking to bare.

My nephew has a child, we all in our family believe is not being properly taken care of due to the lack of motivation coming from a parent.

Recently, we were informed that our youngest baby in the family, is now resting in a shelter due to financial issues. This matter it breaks many hearts. Money is the primary reason why they're in this situation.

How will I be able to obtain custody of my great niece or legal guardian ship for her?
Currently, the mother is already is on state care and still is not in a position to provide the fundamentals to perform proper care. Food, clothing, housing, etc. are key essentials to compliment the responsibility of child care, or self efficiency. At this moment, its not apparent.

My nephew is currently employed but his income may not help his case to gain full custody on his own. I would like to step in and take care of my niece immediately.

How exactly would I go about doing this?
What documents will I need to show to prove the means are accurate?
Is this smart?
Will I have good chance of obtaining custody?

Please HElP!

I'm a very concerned family member in a complicated situation which is unfortunate, and heart breaking to bare.

My nephew has a child, we all in our family believe is not being properly taken care of due to the lack of motivation coming from a parent.

Recently, we were informed that our youngest baby in the family, is now resting in a shelter due to financial issues. This matter it breaks many hearts. Money is the primary reason why they're in this situation.

How will I be able to obtain custody of my great niece or legal guardian ship for her?
Currently, the mother is already is on state care and still is not in a position to provide the fundamentals to perform proper care. Food, clothing, housing, etc. are key essentials to compliment the responsibility of child care, or self efficiency. At this moment, its not apparent.

My nephew is currently employed but his income may not help his case to gain full custody on his own. I would like to step in and take care of my niece immediately.

How exactly would I go about doing this?
What documents will I need to show to prove the means are accurate?
Is this smart?
Will I have good chance of obtaining custody?

Please HElP!

You seem to be focusing on custody.
Children aren't chattel, and can't be owned.
If ANY child is even suspected to be in a dangerous, harmful, situation; call "911".
Tell the police everything you know.
Encourage the police to investigate, and at least do a welfare check on that child.
Once the police have located the child, taken the child for a medical and pyschological exam, you could let it be known to the police, child services, the prosecutor, and medical personnel that you are the child's aunt.

As the aunt, you're willing to open your home and your heart to see to the child's day to day needs.

Let them all know that your only involvement is to love the chid, care for te child, provide for the child, and most importantly protect the child from further harm.

Over the passing weeks, discuss the possibility of becoming a foster parent to the child, a temporary guardian with an eye of one day becoming an adoptive parent.

Take it slow. It's never about what you want. The court wants to see that your primary interest is in what's best for the child.

Tomorrow you can discuss the steps in your state with a lawyer.
It's a long, slow and expensive process, and its quite intrusive.
Your life will be investigated, so get ready for that aspect of the process, whether temporary or permanent.

God luck, and I hope you can start the child's healing.

Getting legal guardianship would need to be done through the court system & with the help of a lawyer. It's generally not cheap.

In the meantime, if the child is being abused and/or neglected, contact the police or CPS.

Back