What Happened To The Money?

Jurisdiction
California
I never received a 2021 federal government-issued stimulus check that I qualified for. In late 2022 I requested, under penalty of perjury, a trace on the check with the IRS. The IRS determined that "payment" was "approved" by a financial institution. The IRS also provided me with a photocopy of the check and a photocopy of my signature. The signature was not photocopied from the signature line as would normally be found on the back side of a check. The IRS did not indicate from where it had photocopied the signature. The IRS refused to issue a replacement check because my signature proved that I signed the check. It did not present any other documentation and the IRS "closed" the file on this matter.

Later, based on the information on the letter from the IRS, I determined that a well-known bank had cashed the check. I went to that bank to ask for the money since I knew I did not cash the check. I informed the bank that I never had an account with the bank so it could not have deposited the money into a non-existent account, at least not under my name. I also informed the bank that it would have been impossible for them to have photocopied my Driver's License since I was never there. The bank refused to give me the money. When I asked for documentation on the transaction, the bank stated that I needed to file a police report before it could give out information. The website for filing police reports first wanted copies of the transaction before it could start an investigation. So, it's a Catch-22.

I want to file a suit with the local Small Claims Court. My question is do I necessarily have to file a police report before I can start the process? I am in the process of writing a demand letter to the bank and then plan to proceed with filing a claim if I get no response from the bank.

Thank you in advance.

I never received a 2021 federal government-issued stimulus check that I qualified for. In late 2022 I requested, under penalty of perjury, a trace on the check with the IRS. The IRS determined that "payment" was "approved" by a financial institution. The IRS also provided me with a photocopy of the check and a photocopy of my signature. The signature was not photocopied from the signature line as would normally be found on the back side of a check. The IRS did not indicate from where it had photocopied the signature. The IRS refused to issue a replacement check because my signature proved that I signed the check. It did not present any other documentation and the IRS "closed" the file on this matter.

Later, based on the information on the letter from the IRS, I determined that a well-known bank had cashed the check. I went to that bank to ask for the money since I knew I did not cash the check. I informed the bank that I never had an account with the bank so it could not have deposited the money into a non-existent account, at least not under my name. I also informed the bank that it would have been impossible for them to have photocopied my Driver's License since I was never there. The bank refused to give me the money. When I asked for documentation on the transaction, the bank stated that I needed to file a police report before it could give out information. The website for filing police reports first wanted copies of the transaction before it could start an investigation. So, it's a Catch-22.

I want to file a suit with the local Small Claims Court. My question is do I necessarily have to file a police report before I can start the process? I am in the process of writing a demand letter to the bank and then plan to proceed with filing a claim if I get no response from the bank.

Thank you in advance.

File a police report for what? You are in California where they will not prosecute any theft below $1000 dollars. Sorry about your stuff better luck next time and welcome to the USA.

Update: Three rounds of stimulus checks. See how many went out and for how much.

This website MIGHT BE ABLE TO OFFER YOU HELP, REGARDING NOT RECEIVING a stimulus check in 2021....

The information on this page was updated on February 9, 2023 to include the December 31, 2021 data.
02/17/2022
While you may have heard them referred to as stimulus checks, the Economic Impact Payments were for the most part direct deposited into bank accounts or sent out as bank cards. More than 476 million payments totaling $814 billion in financial relief went to households impacted by the pandemic. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) based the amounts that individuals received on income, tax filing status, and number of children (or qualifying dependents, like a relative).

NOTE: If you did not receive an Economic Impact Payment in 2020 or 2021, or you have questions about the payments, please visit the Internal Revenue Service for more information

Economic Impact Payments | Internal Revenue Service

Update: Three rounds of stimulus checks. See how many went out and for how much.

Back