Violating court order

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robjustrob

I have a court order that gives me custody on weekends. My ex-wife decided to take my daughter out of state over my Christmas weekend. She did so without any emergency order or negotiating and certainly without my consent. She just took my daughter, denying me my rightful custody on the weekend.
This is the fourth time she has violated the court order in this way. I report it to the sheriff's department each time, for nothing other than to document the complaint, because even though I have explained in plain English that my ex has taken my child out of state on my custody in clear violation of the court order, they go deaf dumb and blind and won't help. I ask my attorney to file a motion for contempt and he practically pisses his pants saying that the judge would rule in my ex-wife's favor citing her actions as being "in the best interest of the child." They like to hide behind that clause.
So, let me get this straight - it's OKAY to violate a court order if you can get the court to say you were doing so because it was in the best interest of the child...?
My attorney is obviously intimidated by her attorney. I think I should have the right to file a motion for contempt of court pro se, shouldn't I? Aren't we all entitled to the right to represent ourselves if we so desire? Is there any law that prohibits me from filing a motion on my own? It's up to the judge if he wants to act on it, right? I can at least have the petition put on his desk can't I?

Your ex is in contempt and you need to find another attorney. File contempt on your own if you have too. If mom is in clear violation and she has done this more than once, a judge might not be too happy with her. You can also ask that mom pay your legal fees since she is in contempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back