Verbal warning, a write up and now fired...but misunderstood entire process

Deslandres

Jurisdiction
Oklahoma
I made a year with my company back in March. But I was let go this week and was completely blindsided and feel totally betrayed and confused. I'm fresh out of college and this is my first stint in corporate america.

Looks like my manager documented a verbal warning back in November...but never actually said this was a meeting to issue a verbal warning because of my performance. It was a very casual meeting where the manager just gave me some things to work on but never mentioned that the purpose of a meeting was to give a verbal warning.

Fast forward to March after my 1 year anniversary, the manager issued a formal write up...but I clearly misunderstood the paper I was signing. The form was titled "Performance Improvement Plan" and I thought this was my manager being supportive and helping me on how to stay on track because every day my manager would always tell me 'great job...keep doing what you're doing...I'm so proud of how far you've come' and even started to train me on other aspects of the job just days before letting me go. Not at any point during that meeting where they presented the formal write up did they warn me that this is actually what it is...a formal write up. All the while, I'm thinking I'm doing a great job but the manager is documenting the complete opposite. And what's even worse is i signed the write up...so when HR talked to me during my termination meeting, they told me 'you had two write ups that you signed' and I said "i was never written up and i never signed any write ups. i signed one form back in march and that was a plan that me and my manager went over to stay on track" but I didn't know what I was signing was actually a write up because it was never made clear to me and i was never formally asked or addressed in a way of them saying 'you understand what this all is? you understand that if we don't see improvement there will be additional disciplinary action including termination'...nothing. If I honestly knew what I was signing and that I was acutally in trouble and this wasn't my job being awesome and supportive, I would have done much better but I was just told to keep doing what i was doing.

this all may sound silly - it's an at will company, their decision is final and I've been terminated, but do I have any recourse here? In my opinion I was baited into failure.

Last edited:
I got my daughter a job in my company with another department and she made a year back in March. But she was let go this week and was completely blindsided and feels totally betrayed and confused. She's fresh out of college and this is her first stint in corporate america.

Looks like her manager documented a verbal warning back in November...but never actually said this was a meeting to issue a verbal warning because of her performance. It was a very casual meeting where the manager just gave her some things to work on but never mentioned that the purpose of a meeting was to give a verbal warning.

Fast forward to March after her 1 year anniversary, the manager issued a formal write up...but my daughter misunderstood the paper she was signing. The form was titled "Performance Improvement Plan" and my daughter thought this was her manager being supportive and helping her on how to stay on track because every day her manager would always tell her 'great job...keep doing what you're doing...I'm so proud of how far you've come' and even started to train her on other aspects of the job just days before letting her go. Not at any point during that meeting where they presented the formal write up did they warn her that this is actually what it is...a formal write up. All the while, my daughter is thinking she's doing a great job but the manager is documenting the complete opposite. And what's even worse is my daughter signed the write up...so when HR talked to her during her termination meeting, they told her 'you had two write ups that you signed' and she said "i was never written up and i never signed any write ups. i signed one form back in march and that was a plan that me and my manager went over to stay on track" but she didn't know what she was signing because it wasn't made clear to her what it was that she was signing.

this all may sound silly - it's an at will company, their decision is final and she's been terminated, but does she have any recourse here? In my opinion she was baited into failure.
Recourse? What type of "recourse" are you referring to? Why on earth would her boss "bait her into failure"? That makes no sense.

Tell Daughter to apply for unemployment benefits.

I figured it was a shot in the dark. But I'm glad you mentioned unemployment. I work from home in Oklahoma but company is based in NY. What state would I file unemployment with?

I figured it was a shot in the dark. But I'm glad you mentioned unemployment. I work from home in Oklahoma but company is based in NY. What state would I file unemployment with?
Wait...were you fired as well?

If not, your DAUGHTER would apply in OK, presuming that is where she works as well.

I made a year with my company back in March. But I was let go this week and was completely blindsided and feel totally betrayed and confused. I'm fresh out of college and this is my first stint in corporate america.

Looks like my manager documented a verbal warning back in November...but never actually said this was a meeting to issue a verbal warning because of my performance. It was a very casual meeting where the manager just gave me some things to work on but never mentioned that the purpose of a meeting was to give a verbal warning.

Fast forward to March after my 1 year anniversary, the manager issued a formal write up...but I clearly misunderstood the paper I was signing. The form was titled "Performance Improvement Plan" and I thought this was my manager being supportive and helping me on how to stay on track because every day my manager would always tell me 'great job...keep doing what you're doing...I'm so proud of how far you've come' and even started to train me on other aspects of the job just days before letting me go. Not at any point during that meeting where they presented the formal write up did they warn me that this is actually what it is...a formal write up. All the while, I'm thinking I'm doing a great job but the manager is documenting the complete opposite. And what's even worse is i signed the write up...so when HR talked to me during my termination meeting, they told me 'you had two write ups that you signed' and I said "i was never written up and i never signed any write ups. i signed one form back in march and that was a plan that me and my manager went over to stay on track" but I didn't know what I was signing was actually a write up because it was never made clear to me and i was never formally asked or addressed in a way of them saying 'you understand what this all is? you understand that if we don't see improvement there will be additional disciplinary action including termination'...nothing. If I honestly knew what I was signing and that I was acutally in trouble and this wasn't my job being awesome and supportive, I would have done much better but I was just told to keep doing what i was doing.

this all may sound silly - it's an at will company, their decision is final and I've been terminated, but do I have any recourse here? In my opinion I was baited into failure.

I don't know that it was handled poorly. Verbal warning, written warning, and termination is pretty standard.

You apply for unemployment in the state where you yourself did the work. The state the company was based is immaterial.

My advice, based on the original version of Post 1: the parent of the freshly fired Gen Zer needs to back off and stop being a helicopter parent. The freshly fired Gen Zer is an adult.

Frankly, the parent here should be worrying about their own reputation in the workplace. How mortifying that the parent pulled strings to get their daughter a job at their company, only for the daughter to get herself fired.

The freshly fired Gen Zer is college educated, so should be functionally literate enough to read what they're signing and google what they don't understand.

https://www.indeed.com/hire/c/info/pip-meaning

Freshly fired Gen Zer was given chances.

Understand something that hasn't been outright said here: they don't need to write you up or warn you before they fire you. Except for firing you for specific reasons that are illegal, they're free to fire you for any other reason, or no reason. They can fire you because they don't care for the color of your socks (and don't have to warn you before they do).

The form was titled "Performance Improvement Plan" and I thought this was my manager being supportive and helping me on how to stay on track because every day my manager would always tell me 'great job...keep doing what you're doing

And now she knows that a Performance Improvement Plan (which is a second chance to do the job) is never a positive thing. It's the employer covering their backside before the axe falls.

Back