Unpaid workers comp

dbettso

Jurisdiction
Oklahoma
I work through a temp service. I was injured at work and the Doctor said I can return to work on light duty. The warehouse that I work at said they do not have anything light duty to offer me, so therefore the temp agency said the only way for me to collect pay was for me to work in their temp office. The problem I am having is....I would love to work there, but I do not have a car to get there. The temp agency is almost an hour away and I don't know what to do. Workers comp sees this as a refusal to work, therefore I will not receive loss wage payment. I need to work. Please help me.

I work through a temp service. I was injured at work and the Doctor said I can return to work on light duty. The warehouse that I work at said they do not have anything light duty to offer me, so therefore the temp agency said the only way for me to collect pay was for me to work in their temp office. The problem I am having is....I would love to work there, but I do not have a car to get there. The temp agency is almost an hour away and I don't know what to do. Workers comp sees this as a refusal to work, therefore I will not receive loss wage payment. I need to work. Please help me.

You solve your problem by taking the work you're being offered.
There is no other option if you want the insurance company or the state to pay you as you recover.

If you refuse, you will receive nothing.

You could speak with a couple attorneys who do workers comp claims just to see if there might be any other options.

You solve your problem by taking the work you're being offered.
There is no other option if you want the insurance company or the state to pay you as you recover.

If you refuse, you will receive nothing.

You could speak with a couple attorneys who do workers comp claims just to see if there might be any other options.
Thank you.

Ask the temp agency is they have any other assignments in your area within your restrictions. Typically if offered light duty and it is refused, you aren't entitled to TTD. If the light duty is an unreasonable distance away, it might be awarded but just a lack of transportation isn't enough. A lot depends on what is normal for your area. Where I live, an hour commute is nothing.

Ask the temp agency is they have any other assignments in your area within your restrictions. Typically if offered light duty and it is refused, you aren't entitled to TTD. If the light duty is an unreasonable distance away, it might be awarded but just a lack of transportation isn't enough. A lot depends on what is normal for your area. Where I live, an hour commute is nothing.
The Temp Agency said they do not have any other jobs here. The commute isn't the problem, it is me not having a vehicle.

Well presumably is you lack a vehicle, you wouldn't be able to get to any job. Lack of transportation is not considered a reason to grant TTD absent extraordinary circumstances.

Well presumably is you lack a vehicle, you wouldn't be able to get to any job. Lack of transportation is not considered a reason to grant TTD absent extraordinary circumstances.
I will just have to figure things out. Thank you for helping me.

I will just have to figure things out. Thank you for helping me.

Just get there on the next scheduled workday.
Yes, it'll be hard, but try to get a ride from a friend or a relative.
Once you arrive, ask to speak to a boss.

Explain to the boss that you're a hard worker, want to work for your livelihood, not beg for it.

Make sure you explain that you have no car, that it's very hard for you to get to their office everyday.

But, explain that you'll do it, hoping the company will work with you until you're better to return to the other job.

Tell them, you'll do it, because you want to prove to them what a good worker you are.

Ask them if there is work closer to your home.
Let them know tat you're very lose to being fully healed.
Then ask if there are any other arrangements they can offer you.

That approach often helps, it rarely hurts.

Good luck, I'm pulling for you.
I believe you.
I know how tough life can be sometimes.
Heck, I'd hire you sight unseen.
Your story impresses me.
So, keep on pushing, hang tough, get well soon.

If you can get yourself there for the first few days maybe you will meet up with another worker who lives near you that you can get a ride with.

Back