Trying to figure out a historical question...

This one goes back over a century, though it may still be common today: I'm wondering what it would be called in the United States when one sibling (older half-sister) is made the guardian of another sibling (younger half-sister) when both are orphaned and the older is of legal age. I suspect it would be a "testamentary guardian," though I'm not entirely certain this would be so, or even if a woman in the late 19th century would be granted guardianship in the 1880s. And if this did happen, what states might have allowed this. I'm researching something, and believe an older half-sister was her younger half-sister's legal guardian, or at least claimed to be, and knowing the correct terms would help. Obviously not as pressing as people with current guardianship issues to deal with, but even a broad, general answer would be appreciated. Thanks!

What it "would" be called is irrelevant for an event that occurred well over 100 years ago. You will want to research the applicable state laws as they existed in the 1880's.
(This will be a matter of state law, not "United States" law.)

I'm wondering what it would be called in the United States when one sibling (older half-sister) is made the guardian of another sibling (younger half-sister) when both are orphaned and the older is of legal age.

It's called guardianship. There's no more specific term for a situation in which the guardian and ward are siblings.

I suspect it would be a "testamentary guardian,"

Testamentary is an adjective that means relating to or as a result of a bequest or nomination in a will. I suppose it's possible that, in the situation you described, if the guardianship were based on a request made in the will of one or both of the children's parents, someone might refer to it as a "testamentary guardianship." However, it wouldn't be any different than any other guardianship. Also note that guardianship law varies from state to state, so terminology used in one state might not be used in other states.

As far as what the law was in some unknown state in the late 19th century, I have no idea. If there's a real need to research this, I'd suggest a visit to a law school law library in the relevant state. Something like this is way beyond the scope of an online message board.

Okay, thanks so far. As far as I know, there was no such request in a will. There was never any testamentary note issued that I know of. I may just stick with the general "guardian" as my search term so as not to exclude anything. I think if any sort of guardianship was granted, it was probably in Chicago.

What does guardianship in the 1880s have to do with anything happening in your life today?

Connect the dots and you may get some answers.

I tend to look into questions like this when I'm doing research for a novel.
Based on the OP's follow-up, it doesn't sound like such research. Maybe the OP can tell us...

Okay, thanks so far. As far as I know, there was no such request in a will. There was never any testamentary note issued that I know of. I may just stick with the general "guardian" as my search term so as not to exclude anything. I think if any sort of guardianship was granted, it was probably in Chicago.

You would get better responses if you told us what is happening to you that requires this kind of research.

Speculation without details is futile.

Back