Ticket from 1996 shows up, what can I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sudonia

I posted this story a few days ago and it disappeared, so I will try it again. I recieved a letter from a law firm stating that I owed around $550 dollars for a ticket in 1996. I do not remember getting a ticket, honestly I don't, but part of the charge was for failure to appear. I was in the Randall county jail at the time that it says I missed the appearence. If I did get a ticket before that, I do know that I gave all of my loose ends to my court-appointed attorney to take care of, as I was being whisked away to THE BIG HOUSE for something I did wrong in 1989. I did 22 months, got out, NEVER wanted to go back, NEVER did and straightened up my life to the point that I barely leave the house and do everything right as roses now. I have re-newed my license, gotten insurance, had a wreck where the Sheriff ran my license, and nothing turned up that said I had a ticket to take care of from 1996. I do not know what can be done. If I did get a ticket (I can't imagine that I got some ticket for speeding that cost 270 dollars! I never drive that fast for it to be that much!) (Not even in my wilder days when I didn't care what happened to me due to life circumstances, depression, ect.) I am baffled. This letter did not come signature required either, but said I needed to plead guilty or Nolo Contendre and pay the fine or a warrant would/could be issued. If I do have this ticket that I don't remember, do they still allow one to sit out the fine, or is there a statute of limitations? Shouldn't I at least be allowed to drop a no appearance if I couldn't appear because I was sitting right down in the jail below the court that I was supposed to appear? Any help will be appreciated, and I hope this one doesn't disappear from this site. Does anyone know why a post would disappear after I saw it on the board with my own eyes after I posted it? Thank you all for any help you can give.

Could be a scam

Some years ago I too was told of a summons I supposedly didn't pay.
Rather than fighting the ticket and penalty I simply paid-up via the mail.

Turns out one of the NYC sherrifs was making a killing under the supervision
of one Donald Manes: AKA: borough president of Queens, New York...the article is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Manes.

I found out AFTER Donny committed suicide, and never got back one dime.

I don't know HOW you find out if you were scammed, but best of luck to you!

SDagger

Thanks

Thanks for the information. I just took it to my lawyer and they are going to figure it out and if it is true they will tell them 9 years is a little late for this junk. I'm moving to memphis, so I guess they wouldn't extradite for a stupid ticket anyway, would they? Sorry you got scammed and lost money. I guess his karma came back on him, anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back