Threats from another tenant

jmr121372

Jurisdiction
Florida
I know the statute, 83.52(7) protects renters from threats and harassment from one tenant to another. At least I thought it would but the landlord let it go all the way until I moved out from fear from retaliation from this one tenant from something he claims that I did which I never did. The question is, can I sue my old landlord along with my evidence of harassment and threats from this one neighbor?

I know the statute, 83.52(7) protects renters from threats and harassment from one tenant to another. At least I thought it would but the landlord let it go all the way until I moved out from fear from retaliation from this one tenant from something he claims that I did which I never did. The question is, can I sue my old landlord along with my evidence of harassment and threats from this one neighbor?

You can sue anyone for anything.
You've left the quarrelsome bum.
Why not move on, enjoy life, let go, live in peaceful harmony?
If that doesn't appeal to you, or you've just gotta show that cad, sue away mate.

What were the threats? If they are serious enough then there should be a police report. If there is no record, you'll have a difficult time proving damages in court. And we haven't even discussed the time, effort and cost of going to court to sue.

can I sue my old landlord along with my evidence of harassment and threats from this one neighbor?

Obviously, you CAN sue the landlord, but you will lose. 83.52(7) is an obligation of a tenant. There is nothing in the Florida landlord tenant statute that requires the landlord to intervene so you have no cause of action against the landlord.

You did, however, have options for handling the neighbor's threats. You could have filed for a restraining order or filed a private nuisance lawsuit. You chose to move out instead.

Now get over it and get on with your life.

What were the threats? If they are serious enough then there should be a police report. If there is no record, you'll have a difficult time proving damages in court. And we haven't even discussed the time, effort and cost of going to court to sue.
I am going pro-se and I've talked with a landlord/tenant lawyer in Tampa, FL and he said "With my your evidence and knowledge of the law, you have a 99.99% chance of winning your case". That is his words to my ears.

Obviously, you CAN sue the landlord, but you will lose. 83.52(7) is an obligation of a tenant. There is nothing in the Florida landlord tenant statute that requires the landlord to intervene so you have no cause of action against the landlord.

You did, however, have options for handling the neighbor's threats. You could have filed for a restraining order or filed a private nuisance lawsuit. You chose to move out instead.

Now get over it and get on with your life.
If the landlord was doing his job, he would know the law. Instead, he'll evict someone within 15 minutes and he don't even go through the proper channels, example, filing paperwork with the clerks office for a motion for eviction.

This landlord does thing illegally and gets away with it and I'm going to put a lawsuit against him.

Plus, if he wanted to be the best landlord he can be, he would have intervened and stopped these harassment and threats from this one neighbor. I'm also not the only victim, there is a 16 year old boy that is also a victim of threats from this one tenant.

I am going pro-se and I've talked with a landlord/tenant lawyer in Tampa, FL and he said "With my your evidence and knowledge of the law, you have a 99.99% chance of winning your case". That is his words to my ears.
If this is actually the case, how can we help you?

Well, then, who are we to disagree with a Tampa, FL landlord/tenant lawyer? :p

Good luck with it.

Be sure to come back some day and let us know how it turns out.

Back