This sounds illegal...

Status
Not open for further replies.

layz72

I get pulled over this morning and i get my insurance card ready because it's in my console. Wait for the cop to come to the window. He askes for the usual and i hand him the insurance card, didn't look at it. Hand him my drivers licence and again not even a glance. I go to hand him my registration and it's stuck in my wallet because they don't laminate them anymore. So i ask him here is my registration it's stuck in my wallet. He replies it doesn't matter because it expired in June. So that leads me to believe that he already knew that pulling me over. To make a long story short car was towed. I know yea i should have the reg but i do not remeber getting a renenwal from DMV. I have family and work that if i don't get one then i will forget. My angle is this: is that not illegal? he can just run plates when ever he feels like it? Doesn't he have to prove probable cause for a stop that he did not give me? Most people would just let it go but it's more the principle of the matter, the $100 impound fee, lost time from work and the cost of the ticket as well.
The only other kicker i found out it's the captian. Any legal grounds here or just suck it up?

Yes, it is not illegal to run plates for expiration.

It is your responsibility to make sure your vehicle is registered, insurance is up to date, inspections completed, etc.

If he issued a ticket, this might be forgiven if you have everything in order before you go to court.

Sorry

I wrote many citations for expired registration by noticing that the sticker on the plate was expired & running a check to confirm this. It is perfectly legal and quite common.

ain't cutting it...

I'm not faulting the ticket, i'm faulting the fact that he just ran my plate with out giving me a probable cause? so he/any cop can just run a plate they feel like with out due process? That's messed up and a direct violation of my civil right to privacy, and i think that's a prety good law suit.

expired plate

I'm not sure about your state, but I would bet that there is a little sticker in the corner of the plate that says when it expires... Correct? I would bet this officer saw this & ran your plate for information on exp. date. Even if this were not the case the police can check for information on any vehicle operated on a public roadway anytime they want for any reason. If you don't believe me contact a private atty. & they will advise you of the same. Operation of a vehicle is NOT a right it is a privilege in all 50 states.

An officer may run a computer check on a license plate number in plain view if the vehicle is not observed to violate any traffic law

Paxton Vs. Georgia 62141 (09/17/1981)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back