Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Theft of Property / Shoplift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prudens

Is there a legality difference between Theft of Property and Shoplifting?

I saw some inmates serving up to 10 years!!! for theft of property... that mustn't be shoplifting!!! 10 years?? omg... holy lol...

There may be a difference in some states, but I suspect that the punishment in most places is the same or similar based upon dollar value of the items stolen.

- Carl

so... 10 years would be equivalent to maybe $10,000+ ???

There's no way 10 years for a freaken $500.00 item...

I doubt it ... the laws of your un-named state will determine the potential sentence.

- Carl

so... 10 years would be equivalent to maybe $10,000+ ???

There's no way 10 years for a freaken $500.00 item...
Although ... while it might be theoretically possible, I doubt it would happen - not for a first offense, and not without some enhancements for priors, career criminal, etc.

- Carl

It scares me to see all the female inmates in the jail system! 10 - 25 years on average for theft!! That can't be ordinary $200 - $500 shoplifting could it?

There are a number of possibilities depending on the circumstances ... and, the actual value - $500 seems to be the cut off ... was it OVER $500 or UNDER $500? WHAT was the type of property stolen?

It looks like the crime can be either a Class C felony, a Class D felony, or a Class A misdemeanor.

I cannot find the potential sentences at the moment, but if you do a search you can probably find the fine and sentence ranges.

- Carl

It scares me to see all the female inmates in the jail system! 10 - 25 years on average for theft!! That can't be ordinary $200 - $500 shoplifting could it?
I doubt it - not unless there are added and aggravating circumstances as I previously mentioned.

- Carl

Well, my friend was caught having 3 memory sticks in her purse... I doubt she stole that... It was totaled about $250. She was never read her Miranda, and she was false imprisoned in an interrogation room for 20minutes. She never agreed to let the cop see her purse in the first place...

She was never read her Miranda,
Miranda is only required after an arrest by the police, and when the police are interrogating a person. The remedy for a Miranda violation is generally the suppression of statements or evidence made. If she confessed and the police had her in custody and Miranda was not read, they would not likely be able to use the confession against her. However, if she was caught with the goods, they may not NEED any statements she made.

Plus, store personnel are not subject to Miranda.

and she was false imprisoned in an interrogation room for 20minutes.
Uh, no - she was detained by store personnel. That is NOT false imprisonment. Would she have rather been handcuffed and sprawled out on the floor at the front of the store for the same 20 minutes?

She never agreed to let the cop see her purse in the first place...
Once she was under arrest, she did not have a choice. Plus, if they had probable cause to believe that was where the stolen goods were, they had a right to look. If store personnel claimed that she stuffed stolen property there, then they could generally look there.

Perhaps you can post the story rather than just small snippets?

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back