The release statement that the former employer asked me to sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

alicesuper

I was just terminated the employment by my former employer because according to them they no longer require my service, and I am looking for another job. The former employer asked me to sign a release statment to release them from all the claims. In consideration for this, they will give me one month salary. My concern is whether I should sign this release statement to give up all my right to bring any claim aganist the former employer. And if I do sign the release and get the money which I definitely need for living, if the former employer brings any type of claim against me in the future, does that mean I cannot excercise my right to fight against them? Or if they do something bad against me when I am looking for another job, can I still bring claim against them for what they do?

Thank you for your suggestion and opinion

We cannot advise you whether or not to sign a document we have not read. What I can tell you is that it is very, very common for an employer to require a release of claims before providing severance, and it is legal in all 50 states.

What you would or would not be able to do in any given hypothetical situation is something that only an attorney who has read the entire agreement can tell you. You'll need to show it to an attorney in your state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back