The hospital staff

BattleAlita

Jurisdiction
Ontario
The hospital staff intentionally harmed me and I wrote the directors about what has happened, they responded that they are investigating it. It's almost been three months now and they haven't said anything else, I have injuries and psychological distress and will be filling the lawsuit on my own but I need help and cannot afford a lawyer.

Is there a separate form the victim needs to file. I cannot afford a lawyer not to mention they are so influential and have told people not to help me.

This is not a referral service and reputable attorneys do not troll message boards looking for clients.

You can contact your state Bar Association, your local Legal Aide, or any law schools in your area for any low cost consultations.

I've moved your other post into this thread. Please keep all your questions in the same thread.

You can't afford not to at least consult with an attorney. This forum is for general information only. You've provided no information that will allow us to even guess what kind of a claim you might have; we cannot give you step by step information on how to file (what kind of?) a claim.

The hospital staff intentionally harmed me and I wrote the directors about what has happened, they responded that they are investigating it. It's almost been three months now and they haven't said anything else, I have injuries and psychological distress and will be filling the lawsuit on my own but I need help and cannot afford a lawyer.

Is there a separate form the victim needs to file. I cannot afford a lawyer not to mention they are so influential and have told people not to help me.

I suggest you reach out to a local legal aid society in Ontario.

Try one or two of these:

Be further advised, this site services US federal and state laws.

None of us knows, or are any of us licensed to practice law in Canada or any of her provinces.

You've listed Ontario as the place where the legal issue is. These forums focus on legal issues in the U.S. While both Canadian law and U.S. started out based on English common law, over the many years each country has been independent from Great Britain the laws in the two countries are different in a number of areas. Medical malpractice claims in particular are different between the two countries. In the U.S. it varies from state to state, too, and I'd not be surprised if in Canada it varies from one province to another. Given the specialized nature of these cases, if you'd need to consult a lawyer in Ontario that handles these kinds of cases. Because of the cost of litigating these cases, whether in Canada or the U.S., the amount of money you may see for damages will be a significant factor in deciding whether it's worth pursuing. I have no idea what the staff did and what injuries you suffered, so there's no way to guess if it's something worth litigating.

Doing these cases on your own is quite difficult. You generally need an expert witness to testify as to the medical professional's error and what the standards are in the Canadian medical system for the kind of treatment/procedure you had done. Experts aren't cheap. You might have to submit a report from the expert either to the court or the other side prior to trial. And examining your expert takes some skill. You also will need to know what other evidence you can get that is relevant to the case and what information you can get from the other side under the rules of procedure that apply in the court where the case would be litigated. Cross examining the defendant's witnesses is a distinct skill from examining your own witnesses. The medical staff you sue will have a lawyer (solicitor) or barrister representing them. If you go on your own, that puts you at a distinct disadvantage.

One huge difference between Canada's legal system and the U.S. legal system is that Canada uses what is known as the British rule or World rule which provides that in most cases the loser pays the winner legal fees and costs. The U.S. uses the American rule, in which each side pays his/her own costs except in contract cases where the contract specifies the rule used for legal fees or where the applicable federal or state law allows for fee shifting in particular types of legal matters. This means that if you lose, you might end up liable for the winner's legal fees and costs, which in this type of case may be considerable. You'll want to figure your exposure to that possibility before launching your lawsuit. At the very least, you'd learn a lot from at least one consultation with an Ontario lawyer who handles medical malpractice cases to find out what you are looking at if you file the lawsuit.

Back