Terminated and 7 days to sign release

Jurisdiction
Nevada
I'm an "at will" employee. Was notified this week I'm terminated. No reasons given. Non-performance issues etc.

Given 7 days to sign "release" and offered 2 weeks severance. Been with company 4 years.

Project I'm leading goes live in a few weeks. Per my employment letter I am owed 2% of revenue generated by my line of business. Those checks from clients come in the next 8 weeks or so and magically now that we're about to him live I've been terminated.

Any recourse? Is 2 weeks severance standard or negotiable? What's "reasonable" or possible generally?

Should I just sign everything and move on?

Nevada subsidiary of Canadian company

There are reasons for each of these questions. They are not being asked out of idle curiosity.

1.) How old are you? (yes, really, that matters)
2.) Were others laid off at the same time as you?
3.) Are you under any kind of contract?

Any recourse?

Recourse for what?

Is 2 weeks severance standard

No. $0.00 is standard.

or negotiable?

No one here has any information about your employer's willingness to negotiate the severance.

What's "reasonable" or possible generally?

No one here has read the "employment letter" to which you referred or has any information beyond that which you included in your post. Therefore, no one here can intelligently assess this.

Do you really want input from uniformed, anonymous strangers? You could, I suppose, upload a redacted copy of the "employment letter" and provide a description of what you do and how much money you think you might be entitled to and why. The other alternative would be to speak with a local attorney.

There are reasons for each of these questions. They are not being asked out of idle curiosity.

1.) How old are you? (yes, really, that matters)
2.) Were others laid off at the same time as you?
3.) Are you under any kind of contract?
1) under 50 over 40

2) no. Someone was terminated 3 and 2 months ago. All white males

3) no. Simply an at will executive office the company

For clarity, I need to know if you are the only one being laid off NOW or if there are others being laid off at the same time as you.

One thing I forgot to ask, and I really am working on something specific, are you having to sign anything to get the severance? Any waivers or agreements?

I'm an "at will" employee. Was notified this week I'm terminated. No reasons given. Non-performance issues etc.

Given 7 days to sign "release" and offered 2 weeks severance. Been with company 4 years.

Project I'm leading goes live in a few weeks. Per my employment letter I am owed 2% of revenue generated by my line of business. Those checks from clients come in the next 8 weeks or so and magically now that we're about to him live I've been terminated.

Any recourse? Is 2 weeks severance standard or negotiable? What's "reasonable" or possible generally?

Nevada subsidiary of Canadian company
Do the math. It's your launch so you must know what the 2% revenue will be over a definite period of time. How does that compare to the severance you are offered to just walk away?

It's legal for an employer to terminate an at-will employee for any reason or no reason except for employees in a protected class and for specific reasons. You don't appear to be in a protected class.

So, brush up your resume, take the severance, and file for unemployment while you look for another job.

As already pointed out, we haven't read your employment letter, but I would bet that the 2% you are supposed to get is contingent on you being employed by the company.

Thanks Welkin. Not enough coffee this morning.

OP, I'm a little rusty on this but if I remember correctly, since you are over 40 and the only one being laid off, you have to be given 21 days to sign that release. The termination is not illegal barring a bona fide contract that says otherwise; Severance is not required by law; but it's impossible to say how binding that "employment letter" is. I would take the whole kit and caboodle to an attorney and have them review it.

As long as you have 21 days to sign you're good to go. Obviously I can't say if your "employment letter" is legally binding or whether the severance you're being offered is a better deal, but you've got time to have an attorney review all the relevant facts.

Back