Tenants damaged cabinets and countertops

lyle12

Jurisdiction
New York
My tenants damaged the following:
1. Broken bathroom sink with 4" hole in it. The sink was cemented to the marble countertop so the repair isn't easy. Repair cost was 1200. Replacement cost 1000. I replaced it.
2. Cabinet below sink was completely rotted out and molded. Drawer was rotten and had to be cut out.
3. kitchen sink - there was a leak they never reported. Entire base of the cabinet is rotted out with mold. The hardwood flooring below the cabinet is molded as well.
B/c I had new tenants coming in, I was forced to repair and not replace both damaged cabinets. But I will have to replace them b/f the next set of tenants.
I feel I should get replacement cost for these cabinets and the sink/countertop. They were brand new, and now their useful life has been greatly shortened. I am not going to charge them for labor to replace the cabinets.

How do NYC landlord/tenant laws deal with this type of issue?

You could sue the former tenants.

Be forewarned, even if the court issues judgments in your favor, you're likely never ever going to get one, thin dime out of the long gone, deadbeats.

If you're going to continue to rent property, not sell them off, be prepared to face these issues over and over, as the deadbeats destroy your property, costing you big dollars.

Your question suggests that you have never looked up the laws. Very dangerous.

Here is NY's security deposit statute:

And here is the complete landlord tenant statute:

NY is very tenant-friendly. I suggest you consult an attorney to find out what you can or cannot do. If you get it wrong you can be on the receiving end of an expensive lawsuit.

You could sue the former tenants.

Be forewarned, even if the court issues judgments in your favor, you're likely never ever going to get one, thin dime out of the long gone, deadbeats.

If you're going to continue to rent property, not sell them off, be prepared to face these issues over and over, as the deadbeats destroy your property, costing you big dollars.
I have a security deposit that more than covers the damages.

Then follow the security deposit law to the letter.

I caution you on one thing, though.

B/c I had new tenants coming in, I was forced to repair and not replace both damaged cabinets. But I will have to replace them b/f the next set of tenants.

Because you jumped the gun on new tenants you don't get to charge twice for the same damage. If you do, you'll open yourself up to a lawsuit that you will very likely lose.

For a landlord, losing money goes with the territory. Been there. Accept that as a fact of life or sell out. I sold out after 20 years of tenant nonsense and never looked back.

My tenants damaged the following:
1. Broken bathroom sink with 4" hole in it. The sink was cemented to the marble countertop so the repair isn't easy. Repair cost was 1200. Replacement cost 1000. I replaced it.
2. Cabinet below sink was completely rotted out and molded. Drawer was rotten and had to be cut out.
3. kitchen sink - there was a leak they never reported. Entire base of the cabinet is rotted out with mold. The hardwood flooring below the cabinet is molded as well.
I feel I should get replacement cost for these cabinets and the sink/countertop. They were brand new, and now their useful life has been greatly shortened. I am not going to charge them for labor to replace the cabinets.

Aside from the broken bathroom sink and rotted vanity, you should consider the kitchen sink cabinet and the flooring beneath it something that you should pay for. It was caused by a leak in either the drain or water supply plumbing. You should not hold the tenant responsible; they may not have paid attention to it. If you had done any inspections of the property during the tenancy, you may have spotted it and gotten it repaired.

The cost of being a good landlord. Not legal advice, just my opinion.

Back