Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft sweethearting in walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayandmag304

My jurisdiction is: wv

I was a cashier in walmart and when someone came through my line that I knew, I would just slide a few items past the scanner and place them in the bag and not charge them. My acquaintances that I done this for did not realize that I done this for them. Long story short I got caught doing this, arrested and charged for petty larceny. The LP guy told me he was going through 3 month of film and file charges against the people i done this for.

Can they charge these people for something they were unaware of?? How can they indentify them?? It was small amount of groceries and not high dollar electronics.

Itwould be really hard to prove against the people you "helped."

I think the LP is saying this to put added pressure on you.

I didn't want to say it's impossible. If for some reason that amount of video exists, they can find a pattern, say, same person, how they act, etc. . .

If the LP has info like credit card numbers, Drivers license etc to ID these persons yes they can. To learn more about what LP can do and how try the link in my signature line (Retail Theft answers)

Of course your friends can be charged; unless they can show that they thought the unpaid for items were gifts from Walmart =)

My acquaintances that I done this for did not realize that I done this for them.
Of course they didn't ... :rolleyes:

Long story short I got caught doing this, arrested and charged for petty larceny. The LP guy told me he was going through 3 month of film and file charges against the people i done this for.

Can they charge these people for something they were unaware of?? How can they indentify them?? It was small amount of groceries and not high dollar electronics.
Depending on what is on the video, and how big a town it is, they may very well be able to identify your associates and charge them. The DA probably should have held out for a plea deal where you dimed off your accomplices, but apparently they did not consider that too important.

A jury just is not going to buy that the friends got a huge break on their shopping at Wal-Mart without being aware of it. Especially if there is video of them coming back a number of times.

My town has a Wal-Mart and if we review the video we can almost always identify any locals shopping there. So identification may not be all that tough - especially if checks or credit/debit cards were used. Plus, they have you on tape committing these crimes, that means that they must also have tapes of your friends as well.

- Carl

Nobody got a HUGE break just a handful of groceries. If they do charge them how long will it take before the police come serve them??? before my court date?? after it?? How long do they keep footage from the cameras?

No one got a HUGE break, just a handful of mall groceries.

If they do get charged how long does this take before they get served with a citation?? before my court date???? after my date?? How far back do they keep footage?? twenty four-forty-eight hours???

No one got a HUGE break, just a handful of mall groceries.
The term "huge" is subjective. To me, a $15 break is not too substantial, to my son, a $15 break (such as a free CD) would be awfully cool. Both are still crimes, and both would be noticeable. I doubt that it was just chewing gum you did not ring up, and unless these friends were people with massive grocery bills, chances are they had some idea they were being given a break or they KNEW it ahead of time.

In any event, if identified, they will likely be interviewed by the police and they could be charged.

If they do get charged how long does this take before they get served with a citation?? before my court date???? after my date?? How far back do they keep footage?? twenty four-forty-eight hours???
No one can say how long it might be. Depending on the law in your state, they could wait upwards of a year before acting on it. Chances are good that your matter will be resolved before theirs goes to court. Now, if they identify some of your companions before your court date, this could be a problem for you. If these friends testify that you had made prior plans to do this, or accepted something in return for these crimes, you could find that you will be charged with far more serious crimes.

You should consider speaking to an attorney and discussing the option of a plea deal sooner rather than later. If these friends would dime you off to much more serious offenses, it might be worth your while to seek a plea deal early and get it resolved before these other parties come to light. But, if you think they will never be identified, then there is nothing to worry about I suppose.

As for footage retention, it depends on the store. Our local Walmart has it going back AT LEAST 90 days. Yours could be different. And if they caught you, I suspect anything they reviewed with your crimes in it has been saved.

- Carl

They will have until the statute of limitations runs out to file. That will vary by state and charge. They can go back as far as their equitment is capable of going! This could take the charges against you into felony area.

I have already signed my citation from the police. He charged me with petty larceny and have a court date this week. since I have already pled guilty and signed my citation can they go back add more stuff, prior to the court hearing???

Until you have pled guilty in court and have been sentenced, things can change.

Once you are arraigned, it will be harder top upgrade or amend the charges but it might still be possible until you are found guilty or sentenced ... or, found not guilty.

- Carl

I know what I done was wrong and I feel completely ashamed and embarassed of the entire ordeal. I told the police and LP how long it went on and was honest to them. I am just scared getting my friends in trouble when it was my fault.

Here's a surprise.

Sometimes cops lie.

I seriously doubt he's going after your friends, due to the stance he and the store seems to be takingw with you, charging you with petit larceny when they don't really know how much the total is, etc.

Don't worry about your friends at this point, and in my opinion, refuse to "tell" on any of them as well. Really hard to prove their intent, that they're paying attention, etc. LIke CDW says, $15 for him he wouldn't really notice, neither would I at times! one big reason is all those in store specials, etc., so the total price for groceries per week flunctuates greatly for me.

Here's a surprise.

Sometimes cops lie.
In this case it was the LP officer (not the cop) that commented he was going after the friends.

I seriously doubt he's going after your friends, due to the stance he and the store seems to be takingw with you, charging you with petit larceny when they don't really know how much the total is, etc.
Actually, they might be able to get a good figure. And if they can ID the friends and get a statement from them where they admit to receiving some of these things, then they'll have a great idea.

They can often identify the items avoiding the scanner just from the video, and the total of the items being run up are printed on the video screen. We've worked these cases here and they can very often tell what item it is. If not, it has been my experience that Wal-Mart doesn't even add it to the claim (i.e. it is a zero value item). While I cannot speak about Wal-Mart in WV, here in CA at the three stores I have had to deal with, they've done pretty darn good work on these sorts of things.

- Carl

Questions, are you married with children? Is your household a single or double income(spouse is working also)? Do own a home or rent and is dependent on the double income?

I ask these questions for a reason.

Questions, are you married with children? Is your household a single or double income(spouse is working also)? Do own a home or rent and is dependent on the double income?

I ask these questions for a reason.

I don't want to sound like the grim reaper here but:
It's sound like this may go to felony because of the circumstances.
Almost every employer these days are doing background checks for especially
these type crimes. It will be extremely tough acquiring new employment.
Sorry, doing this type of crime in a major department store, your whole family suffers

Last edited:
I don't want to sound like the grim reaper here but:
It's sound like this may go to felony because of the circumstances.
Almost every employer these days are doing background checks for especially
these type crimes. It will be extremely tough acquiring new employment.
Sorry, doing this type of crime in a major department store, your whole family suffers

I had to calm down my reply that's why it took awhile. In 2009 you'd think
everyone's knows about surveillance camera's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back