Suspicious Grounds for Termination

Status
Not open for further replies.

velmav

I was recently terminated from a place of employment which was very unorganized and poorly managed. I was given a third contract to sign in the period of a month, and when I asked the boss for clarification, I was told to stop being so argumentative and be grateful for the deal I was given. I took the contract to a lawyer to review at this point, and four separate lawyers found terrible contradictions within the contract, errors and even misclassifications of an employee being considered an independent contractor. Naturally, I was advised not to sign this contract, and I told my boss I would like to go over the contract with him the following day when we had time to sit down and cover the problems my lawyers saw.

He was clearly uncomfortable that I had a lawyer check his work, and within 20 minutes I received a text asking me to bring the company property (an electronic device) with me to work tomorrow. The next day, I was brought into his office and told I was not fulfilling my duties as needed and would be let go. There was no further discussion of the contract and I was asked to leave.

There is no doubt in my mind that I was let go because I refused to sign a contract without seeing some changes and fixes first (to a terribly flawed document.) A week previous to my refusal to sign the contract, I had received a promotion, taken on more responsibility, and been praised for my work. Just the day before, we had scheduled appointments for weeks into the future - so the claim that I was not doing a sufficient job was not backed by any warnings, indications, or reason.

Is this a case that can be brought against the company for illegally terminating me for refusing to sign a contract, although they gave me another reason for termination? There is no written proof of the termination or the reason for termination. Again, this is a seriously flawed company which I was going to leave regardless.

Please let me know. Thank you.

An employer doesn't need a reason to terminate an employee or a contractor.

You're free to sue anyone you want.

Talk to a couple lawyers and see if one is willing to tale your case.

I'll lay you odds of 50 to 1 that you will be unable to retain one lawyer to pursue this for you.

Please post a link to the law that prohibits an employer from firing you for refusing to sign a contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back