Stray dog bites customer on my business, am I liable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1973ysorsa

Unknown dog owner, victim's boyfriend is good customer, vehicle being repaired at my facility. Incident was minor, 2 days later-victim shows up wanting information on the owner of the dog,,,my employees had seen dog around there, but did not know the owner. Animal control visited our premises, contacted by rabies investigator for information on whereabouts of the dog. I have been very cooperative,,,a few days later contacted by victim, she had gone to doctor, and would need to have series of rabies shots if dog was not found, I was sympathetic to her incident. She asked for my insurance to cover her expenses, or we could settle repair cost for the vehicle in return for her costs and anguish. This was not my dog,,,but OK I would agree to do that, 2 days later-she asks for me to pay for series of rabies shots, reimbursement of previous doctor's bills and meds, and to waive cost for vehicles repairs...I don't think this is fair...Please advice my rights :(

You have the right to tell her no and demand payment for your services.
You aren't responsible for the stray dog.
She can use her own medical insurance to cover her expenses... though she likely doesn't have any which is why she is asking you.

You are in control here. Think seventy-two times before doing anything at all that suggests you accept responsibility for her injury.

As you describe it, you owe her nothing, and she owes you for the repair to her vehicle. That doesn't mean she won't try to bully you into paying her bills though.

Last edited:
Would this also open the door for future problems? Meaning if the OP agreed to these requests and 6 months from now this lady gets a serious infection in this leg. Then states "Well the owner of the shop assumed the responsibility for this dog. I can prove it.... He gave me a free car repair, paid my medical bills etc... This kind gesture is a great thought but it could open the door for future problems

OP, you might want to be prepared to hire an attorney.

Once you close the piggy bank to people that engage in these type of tactics, some get angry and attack you.

They could do anything from physically assaulting you, picketing your premises, posting on the Internet about your business, and hiring a lawyer to sue the money out of you.

Just say, if she returns, I've been advised by my attorney to not discuss this matter with anyone. Then, go find that attorney I scolded you about having above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back