Sibling wants to stay in parents home but....

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwmson

My jurisdiction is: Virginia, Henrico County

Hello,
A little history,
Both of my parents are in different nursing homes, my mother actually lives in one but my father is getting rehab for a fall. They are of sound mind. I have 2 other brothers. My youngest brother and I both have Power of Attorney, he is listed first and I am listed as second. Our oldest brother isn't listed at all. He hasn't really stayed in contact except holidays for many years. He is about to be released from jail and has lost his house, job and car. He is on a restraining order to stay away from his wife and she is to stay away from him. He doesn't have any income or transportation. He does have two sons but they have been through this with him before and really don't want anything to do with him until he straightens out.
My question is,
He is going to need somewhere to stay for a few weeks until he can get back up on his feet so he is asking if he can stay in my parents home for a few weeks. My other brother and I are against this because of issues from previous situations where he has stayed their with my dad. However my dad isn't there, he is at the nursing home and will be there for a month or longer. My parents say he can stay there for a short while and I'm sure it's their decision. We want to know if we let him stay there and he won't leave is there any course of action we can take, such as having him sign something that says he must vacate after a month before he is staying there? What if we let him stay and he won't leave?
Need some help, we want to help him but we want to protect my parents.
Craig

Last edited:
Whether he signs something or not probably won't make much difference. If he doesn't sign anything, he's just staying there at your parent's pleasure, and he can be kicked out whenever they please. If he does sign something, and he overstays his welcome, he might arguably be in breach of contract, but the remedy is he still gets kicked out. I think if your parents are legitimately concerned he will not leave when asked, they shouldn't allow him to stay in the first place.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back