Should I get a lawyer

A

ArtistsAssistant

Jurisdiction
Connecticut
Should I seek legal help A few months ago I had a piece displayed during a not-for-profit organization's fund raising gala.
In the past I have had work destroyed so I made sure that there was a liability agreement covering all aspects of damage during the event. This contract was signed by the organizations COO.

During the event the work was not protected as described in the agreement (I have photos), and during the event someone damaged the work.

I have been in regular contact with many people at the organization requesting updates, however there have only been replies of "It is being dealt with and we will update you soon."
Recently, I emailed everyone that could be involved with the insurance claim requesting an update and the name of the insurance company responsible (the special events coordinator, the COO, and the CEO).
I have recieved emails in return from the special events coordinator and the COO.
They have said that the organization's CEO is taking care of the claim and they do not know the current status.
I believe that the CEO may be stalling the process for some reason.

I have pictures of the work before damage and after damage, I have pictures of the work being displayed in a way that breaches our liability contract, I have emails from the organization stating that it will be taken care of, I have a witness to the state of the installation, and more. I want the CEO to respond promptly and take responsibility for the incident.

Should I seek legal help, and what type of lawyer should I look for if necessary?
I do not know what it would be called when regarding liability waivers, but is there a statute of limitations in Connecticut that I should be concerned with?
How should I proceed, because the CEO is very good at not responding to my emails?
Should I call and schedule an appointment? I wanted email correspondence to have proof of our communications.

I do not have a lot of money, but the liability agreement states that I will be reimbursed fully for the value of the piece.

Any information would be helpful,
Thankyou.

How much do you think the item was worth?
Your problem will proving your assertion, if you proceed to court.
If you hired a lawyer, expect to shell out $10,000 to pursue the matter.

That's the problem most potential litigants face with regard to these cases.

Another option is to contact any of the tv legal shows: Judge Judy, People's Court, Judge Mathis, etc...

If your case is selected, you'll receive a handsome compensation package for participating.

If you prevail, you'll receive the value of the damaged item, plus the handsome compensation package, airfare, hotel, local transportation, food, and a little spending money.

Back