Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Shoplifting

G

Graham

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
My son was arrested in NC at a wal mart for shoplifting and conspiracy larceny <$1000. To make a long story short, he was in the parking lot when it took place and was unaware that his "friend" had done this. They are both Marines, FYI. The guy who actually did it freely admitted that my son had no knowledge beforehand or during of what was going on. My son didn't even realize why he was being arrested until he was booked. We do have proof of the admission via screenshots and in addition the guilty party has confessed to his superior officers. My son has a squeaky clean record and has never been in trouble. What are the chances of a dismissal of charges?

Anything I say, would simply be a guess.
Your recitation of events seems to offer your son a solid defense.
I suggest you help him by assisting him in hiring a good criminal defense attorney.
He can ask his friends, fellow marines, for the names of three or four good criminal defense attorneys.

Bear in mind, he might also end up facing UCMJ charges, even if he prevails over the civilian charges.

Silence is his best defense.

From this point forward, don't discuss any aspect of his case, and encourage him to do the same.

The only exception would be with his lawyer.

Don't broadcast any of his defenses, because criminal co-defendants often sell each other out!!!

SILENCIO.

Thank you. So far, he has only spoken with his superior officers and it does not appear that he will be charged there. We are more concerned about civilian court at this point.

Thank you. So far, he has only spoken with his superior officers and it does not appear that he will be charged there. We are more concerned about civilian court at this point.

Yes, you are right to be concerned about civilian charges he's facing.

I only suggest you don't discuss the case, because military charges often follow civilian charges.

I say that only to alert all of you to the fact that some people get charged by the military after the civilian charges are resolved.

Today, however, the military faces massive budget cuts.

The pattern today is to chapter those who get in serious civilian scrapes.

Just beware of other actions that could follow the current one.

Back