Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Shoplifted help

B

Bagels33

Jurisdiction
Oregon
I shoplifted for the first time and got caught. I was compliant and honest. I'm 18 and I have no idea why I did it. It's something I abosoputelh would have never done before. I'm on a new birth control and it has made me act completely out of character. I'm always upset I'm super depressed, I'm trying to graduate highschool, I got kicked out of my parents house so I'm living with strangers, I had to quit my job because I was being sexually harassed and I have no idea what possessed me to want to shoplift anything. The value was $20 at JC penny. What can I do? The cops were called he gave me a situation and a court date and the LP officer told me I won't be 89'd from the store which means I can still go to JC Penny whenever I want. I'm supposed to get a civil demand in the mail. What do I do? Should I ask for a court appointed attorney because I can't afford one?

I am a retail theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. Civil Demand and court are not the same! Yes you should pay Civil Demand and yes you should request a public defender. When you meet this Lawyer ask about plea options like ACD or Diversion to protect your record

When you go to court, plead not guilty & request a public defender. You can discuss your options with the PD.

It's generally to your advantage to pay the civil demand.

Back