Corporate Law Shareholder funny business

Status
Not open for further replies.

malverde

In the last day I have found out that my business partner has been meeting with another individual (a person that we work directly with at one of our customers) to start up a competing business.

There are 3 shareholders of "our" company; 45%, 45%, 10% shares. We each have a position on the Board of Directors along with our Treasurer (an outside accountant hired to watch the books). My business partner approached the 10% owner asking him how much he'd charge for 6% of the company - allowing him to have a controlling 51% of the shares. It appears he wants to get his hands on a controlling share of the company so that the new company he is forming will be able to tap into "our" employee pool.

I (or the company) could try and buy up the 6% but to be honest, we could never afford it.

Has he violated Common Law or any other laws by doing what he is doing?

Buying shares is legal. Meeting with another person is legal. Harboring bad thoughts towards the company *might* be a breach of his fiduciary duty, but with no damages. As was suggested to you in another thread, actually forming a new company that competes with the existing company could very well be a breach of his fiduciary duty as a director. It also might go against non-compete clauses you might have in your bylaws or shareholder agreements. But if he hasn't actually done it yet, I suspect you have nothing to go on. You should see a corporate lawyer to confirm this.

Acquiring a controlling interest in the company won't allow him to tap into your employee pool - if it would be a breach of his duty when he's a 45% owner, it will still be a breach when he's a 51% owner.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back