Seeking Custody

EETifa

Jurisdiction
Oklahoma
I am about to graduate college with a degree in engineering, I have received job offers with more than enough money to provide for one person. My niece is currently 13 years old and her mother, my sister is not of sound mind and mental stability. She has been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and on more than one occasion has tried or threatened to hurt myself, our mother and other members of our family. Although she has never physically abused her daughter to my knowledge there are signs of neglect and she has been called to court for that as well. Her daughter is diabetic and there have been several instances when she was younger where she had seizures, possibly due to the mother's negligence.
My sister has gone to truancy court multiple times due to preventing my niece from attending school. She has received a court order to attend appointments with a psychologist and take medicine regularly for her illness. Child services have already been involved and they have appointed my niece a separate lawyer. As of right now they have the intention to put my niece with my mother if it custody is revoked. However, my mother is elderly and has not been working for several years. She suffers from depression, also taking medication regularly. This past year she was put in the hospital due to a seizure from over medicating herself.
Any money that my mother would receive from my niece's disability checks would not be put toward's her future whatsoever. It would just go straight to paying the bills. I believe every penny of that should be put back for her. Please help me point me in the right direction in order to pursue custody of her. I want to give her a future that's worth looking forward too, one with stability that she has yet to know. Please tell me if this is even possible, I will do whatever it takes.

about to graduate
received job offers

You haven't graduated yet. You have no job yet. You have no documented income stream yet.

You have no chance of getting custody at this time.

Go back to Child Services when you have 6 months on the job, a well documented paycheck, and money in the bank.

You might be considered for custody then.

Meantime, if Child Services determines that the child's mother, your mother, and you are not qualified, the child WILL be put in foster care until you can demonstrate stable earnings and environment and can be considered for custody. That point is a long way off.

You haven't graduated yet. You have no job yet. You have no documented income stream yet.

You have no chance of getting custody at this time.

Go back to Child Services when you have 6 months on the job, a well documented paycheck, and money in the bank.

You might be considered for custody then.

Meantime, if Child Services determines that the child's mother, your mother, and you are not qualified, the child WILL be put in foster care until you can demonstrate stable earnings and environment and can be considered for custody. That point is a long way off.

I do currently have a job as a lab tech so I have enough money to support myself no problem. This is a stable income. Could I start pursuing custody now by getting into contact with social workers, letting them know that I am interested and then hopefully be even closer to receiving custody once I graduate with a larger income?

Could I start pursuing custody now by getting into contact with social workers, letting them know that I am interested and then hopefully be even closer to receiving custody once I graduate with a larger income?

Sure, you can do that. Just don't expect much. It's a bureaucracy, and a rather inefficient one at that.

Back