Seeking advice on paternity testing/joint custody

Status
Not open for further replies.

s7ep4ani3

My boyfriend and I found out 3 months into our relationship that his ex-girlfriend became pregnant. She is claiming that it is his child and is currently 6-7 months along. My boyfriend has doubts that the child is his since she had been seeing other people at the time she conceived. He truly feels that she decided to have this child hoping it would bring them again -- he had moved on. She is very bitter because of this and a lot of her actions (verbally) had proven so. I feel her repercussions but I stay out of it for his sake and the child's sake. I am trying everything I can to help him out in the background of all of this.

He wants to get a paternity test and learn what necessary steps he needs to take in order to get joint custody or visiting rights. He is very much afraid she will use this kid as a pawn to "get even" if and when they have arguments (it is a given they will argue!) and would like the law to step in to ensure that this does not happen. Can I get some advice to pass onto him on what legal steps he needs to take in order to get a paternity test at the time of birth and joint custody of the child? He definately wants to be a part of his child life and wants fairness for him, her and the child. Any advice would be very much appreciated!!

The Child Support Handbook says that if you go to your local Child Support Office they can order that a paternity test be done after the baby is born. The father usually has to pay for it. I would also call the hospital where the child will be born and ask if he can just request a paternity test himself.
After paternity is established and if it is his, he will need to hire a lawyer to take care of any custody or visitation issues. Joint custody usually isn't given that much these days unless a parent isn't cooperating with visitation but he needs to ask a lawyer about that. He will definitely get visitation if he is the father and if she tries deny him seeing the child he can take her to court for contempt.

There is nothing he can do until the baby is born. Since they are not married a DNA test likely will be required.

He can hop onto his state's child support website and request paternity testing on the child once it is born. Once paternity has been eatablished then he can set up court ordered visitation. Until a court grants custody and visitation, he has no rights to the child.

He can certainly ask for joint custody, whether he will get it nobody knows.

An attorney is definitely the best person to see in this case, especailly if the mom is going to play games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back