Scared of kidnapping, Moving Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamamimi

I left New Orleans in August 2005, because of Katrina. At the time (actually, most of the time), I had my 2 1/2 year old son with me. I evacuated to Lafayette, LA where I proceeded to have custody papers drawn up with fair child support and visitation. His father, my ex-boyfriend (not ex-husband), who had moved to Portland, OR after the storm, refused to sign the papers.
During the period of May 2005 through August 2005, his father and I attempted a civil joint custody without bringing any law into the situation. It didn't stay civil. (His father has anger management issues) During this time he gave me $540 to put toward our son's daycare. However, our 50/50 split on time not only did not work because he constantly had something else to do, but it was probably confusing for our son.
Since Katrina-almost 17 months, his father has given me $560 total. I have bent over backwards to make sure my son was taken care of even though I make less than half of what I did pre-Katrina and my expenses have increased significantly. (My family has loaned me money)
In December of 2005, I moved to Austin, TX in hopes of a brighter future for myself and my son. I looked for legal help after 6 months of living here, but only to find that I wasn't needy enough. (too long of a list of needy people) Things have ended up being too much of a struggle without family and friends. I am about to move back home to New Orleans for a new, better job offer. As well, I found a good school for my son.
Since September, 2005, his father and his new step mother (2 incomes, here!), have moved back to New Orleans. And, in an attempt to allow a relationship with his father, I have driven back and forth to allow his father to spend time with him. (at his father's convenience-I had to take off of work and drive 3 extra hours if I wanted him back)
This past Christmas, I drove into Lafayette with my son. His father drove the 2 hours to pick him up and was supposed to bring him home the following night so we could drive home. His father told me that he had enough money to take care of him now and that it was his turn. I said i would be in New Orleans the next morning to pick him up, if he was going to try and take him away. He said don't bother. (I have proof of all of this because he text-messaged it to me) I was lucky enough to have his family intercede on my behalf and I drove the following day to Gonzales to get him.
I cannot find any help because of my TX residency status and I am afraid that once I get into New Orleans he will try and take him again. I need some protection, some help, some legal advice.
He's been calling today and trying to get me to give him my son's social security #, but I am really afraid to do that. What can I do?

I had a Louisiana attorney suggest that I find out through a TX lawyer if I should file a court order recognizing your status as custodial parent in Texas before I move (in 3 weeks) or Louisiana one I get there.

Your post is a bit confusing, but I am assuming you have never been to court with this guy.

If that is true, then file your lawsuit where you and the kid live now.

You have moved around so much it is hard to tell what state actually has jurisdiction.

Since you are not staying in any state long enough (6 months) to retain jurisdiction you probably need to hire an attorney where dad and the child are, ASAP.

Was paternity ever legally established? If Dad refuses to return the child, you can try calling the police but since this is a civil matter, they probably will not do anything.

I would go down to the family court and file for emergency custody or find an attorney that can help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back