Running a red light on a left hand turn

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquariustwist

Hi,
I'm new to this whole ticketing thing, and I'd love some advice. I live in Los Angeles, and yesterday was pulled over for running a red light during a left hand turn (from a 2 way street onto another 2 way street.) The officer said I was in the cross walk as opposed to the intersection, and therefore I ran the light. In my opinion my vehicle was partly into the intersection as the light was changing- I was waiting in a line to turn and the person at the front hesitated for an abnormally long amount of time before making their turn. Also, the officer was 6 lanes and a large divider away from me, in an intersection where there are two sets of lights which are staggered in their turning (I know this sounds confusing, sorry! The officer could not see the set of lights that governed my car, although they turn red before the second set do.) I definately could not see the cop's car, as several lanes of stopped traffic were between us when I started my turn (the cop himself said, "you couldn't see us" as an example to make me feel lucky that I wasn't hit by on oncoming car that I couldn't see while in the intersection.) My question is, should I contest this citation? I can't find any clear laws about turning in intersections, and unfortunately there are no witnesses. This is the first time I've ever been pulled over in the 5 years I've had my license- I'm worried that it will go on to my record if I contest and lose, and then cannot do traffic school since I contested.
Thanks for your help!
Erin

Hi. I read your post. Try to imagine yourelf as a judge kistening to yourself. You sound as if you are making excuses. You admitted to being in the intersection. A car in front of you is no excuse.

Please plead no contest or "nolo contendre".

If you represent yourself, don't testify when it is your turn to ASK the officer questions. You should ask questions regarding what he saw, possibly questioning his testimony etc. Pay paricular attention to ask carefuly & firmly but respectfully (conservatively dressed - no tea length, bare shoulders or form fitting dresses & NO jeans!) Create doubt as to whether he should have given you a ticket. Never take it presonally! Smile! look in the eye or right between the eyes - bridge of nose. His attitude could come out with some relevant questionings.

All of this can work in your favour showing that the officer could be a little pencil happy. Your case will be dismiseed with a warning. What do you have to lose?

CJW said:
You admitted to being in the intersection. A car in front of you is no excuse.

I thought the law was that if you were over the line of the crosswalk when the light turned red, you were required to go... that is what several other people have told me. So being in the intersection when the light turned red (while completing your turn) would not therefore be considered "running" a red light (perhaps a different charge, yes, but not a red light charge.)

Is this not right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back