Rodent Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suzinbrooklyn

I livein a Brownstone in Brooklyn (4 units). We have a major mouse problem throughout the building. I know that the Housing Authority is on my side with this because it is a health code violation. My question is this: My landlord had written in to our lease that we are responsbile for eliminating rodents, does this trump the fact that the housing authority clearly states that the OWNER of the property must eliminate and maintain rodent free property?

Also, our efforts to deal with the pest problem are negated by the fact that the rest of the building is infested. We get rid of them and they just climb back into the apartment. Is it legal for our landlord to make us pay for rodent removal?

Many thanks,
Housemouse.

The rodent elimination has to be a joint effort between the tenants and the landlord. Yes, the landlord can eliminate and attempt to maintain a rodent free property.

However, if the tenants do not cooperate from their end (keeping food covered, disposing of trash very quickly, providing simple and expensive traps in areas that they see rodents), anything the landlord does will, in the end, be hopeless.

Gail

I have the same problem with rats entering my home and, sure enough, my landlord has agreed to pay for pest control ONLY if me and my fellow tenants cooperate, which of course we'd be happy to do.

I'm not sure if there are any people clued up on pest control here but to what extent should I take measures to stop the rodents myself before my landlord is legally binded to call in the experts?

Many thanks.

Keeping in mind that rodents will seek out where food is, store all boxes of food in "unchewable containers" (i.e., metal coffee cans are inexpensive containers). Heavy duty plastic coffee cans can also be used unless we're talking BIG rats here.

Another option is to keep boxes of food (i.e., food not in cans) such as pancake mix, flour, sugar, cake mixes, etc. in the refrigerator or freezer. I've never known a rat yet who can open the frig door.

Take out the trash on a daily basis so this food source doesn't become enticing to these rodents.

If you have any idea where these stinkers are coming in, plug up entrance holes with steel wool.

You can put out mouse/rat traps but you need to decide if you'll be able to handle tossing out anything that might get caught in them.

Rat poison is effective but the problem is that if the rodents go back into the walls and die you'll soon notice a fairly unpleasant odor from their dead bodies in your place.

Gail

Thanks Gail, sound advice.

I think the landlord is actually going to tackle the problem ie buying traps/poison etc it's just knowing how we can be of any help.

Making food inaccessible and blocking entrances certainly makes sense so thank you for that, I just hope they use non-fatal methods!

Despite them being a nuisance I think all animals (including what we deem as 'pests') are only doing what they do in order to survive and shouldn't have their lives cut short because of it.

I know I probably come across as a hippy but I am strongly for animal rights! On that note I may have to start looking for humane rat traps, I certainly couldn't tolerate a rotting carcass smell either!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back