Report a SMB that failed to pay custom duty on imports from india

custom_smb

Jurisdiction
California
I want to know if I have a valid case here. A small clothing brand from India (assume called Y) shipped garments worth $200K to this small fashion boutique in the US ..let's call this firm X. X did not pay customs duty on the $200K worth of goods recieved. Can I report this to a US Custom authority? I want to know what are the repurcussions to X. X is basically fraudulent and is refusing to pay Y against the goods recieved. Since Y is in India , X knows that Y cannot go after him. I want to know if we could threaten X with atleast non-payment of customs duty and force him to pay against the goods he recieved. pls help.

I want to know if I have a valid case here. A small clothing brand from India (assume called Y) shipped garments worth $200K to this small fashion boutique in the US ..let's call this firm X. X did not pay customs duty on the $200K worth of goods recieved. Can I report this to a US Custom authority? I want to know what are the repurcussions to X. X is basically fraudulent and is refusing to pay Y against the goods recieved. Since Y is in India , X knows that Y cannot go after him. I want to know if we could threaten X with atleast non-payment of customs duty and force him to pay against the goods he recieved. pls help.

Anyone can report anything to any entity, as long as the entity wishes to hear what the reporter wishes to say.

Can I report this to a US Custom authority?

Anything can report anything to anyone.

But why do you care? What is your connection to either X or Y?

Also, if the duty wasn't paid, the customs authority ought to make a claim against the bond that was posted to get the goods released. Did that happen?

X is basically fraudulent

What could that possibly mean?

X . . . is refusing to pay Y against the goods recieved. Since Y is in India , X knows that Y cannot go after him.

Nonsense. Nothing prevents Y from hiring an attorney in California to sue X. That said, Y releasing $200k worth of goods to someone in another country without first receiving payment or having an adequate assurance of payment is a colossally foolish business practice.

I want to know if we could threaten X with atleast non-payment of customs duty

"We"? Who are "we"? That aside, anyone can threaten anyone.

and force him to pay against the goods he recieved.

The way you "force" someone to pay money is to sue and obtain a judgment and enforce that judgment.

I want to know if I have a valid case here. A small clothing brand from India (assume called Y) shipped garments worth $200K to this small fashion boutique in the US ..let's call this firm X. X did not pay customs duty on the $200K worth of goods recieved.

How did those goods get past customs at the port of entry?

Can I report this to a US Custom authority?

Yes, and you can report it easily online: ICE Tip Form

I want to know what are the repurcussions to X. X is basically fraudulent and is refusing to pay Y against the goods recieved. Since Y is in India , X knows that Y cannot go after him. I want to know if we could threaten X with atleast non-payment of customs duty and force him to pay against the goods he recieved. pls help.

If A is pursued by ICE, the most likely outcome is X has to pay the customs duty, a significant penalty, and interest. But that's not really going to help you collect what you are owed.

Back