Reparation for Repeated Flooding repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

sampit

I have been renting a condo for about six years. Over the years, there have been multiple plumbing leaks in one general area, mostly due to ruptured plastic pipes in the plumbing. During this month alone, there has been flooding twice, causing damage to the walls, kitchen areas etc. The owner has a property management company that arranges for repairs etc. However, this whole exercise of flooding, followed by repairs for several days , is highly disruptive and causes a great deal of inconvenience. How much compensation by way of rent abatement should I expect from the owner to offset the problems caused to me by these frequent flooding accidents. My monthly rent is $1700, and the flooding situation has impacted me for a little over a fortnight.

Update: We just suffered another huge flooding, while the drying from the previous episode was in progress. I cannot tolerate anymore the nuisance, inconvenience, disruption, loss of time, dust, dirt, noise, heat and the loss of private enjoyment of my home. What should I do? Please advise. Your help is really appreciated.
Thanks

I have been renting a condo for about six years. Over the years, there have been multiple plumbing leaks in one general area, mostly due to ruptured plastic pipes in the plumbing. During this month alone, there has been flooding twice, causing damage to the walls, kitchen areas etc. The owner has a property management company that arranges for repairs etc. However, this whole exercise of flooding, followed by repairs for several days , is highly disruptive and causes a great deal of inconvenience. How much compensation by way of rent abatement should I expect from the owner to offset the problems caused to me by these frequent flooding accidents. My monthly rent is $1700, and the flooding situation has impacted me for a little over a fortnight.

Update: We just suffered another huge flooding, while the drying from the previous episode was in progress. I cannot tolerate anymore the nuisance, inconvenience, disruption, loss of time, dust, dirt, noise, heat and the loss of private enjoyment of my home. What should I do? Please advise. Your help is really appreciated.
Thanks

You're responsible for mitigating your expenses and losses.
Your best bet might is to move.
No amount of money will compensate you for the things that have harmed and inconvenienced you.

Your rent is $1700.
If the landlord said you could reside there "rent free", would that be enough to compensate for the things you've described?
Surely, living in such conditions is no compensation for this inconvenience and health risks?
No amount of rent abatement would compensate for me for the problems you've had to endure.

I'd ask to to break my lease.
The landlord can't compensate you for the flooding, nor can it be prevented or predicted.
Otherwise, this is a never ending nightmare.
Its time to move!

Last edited:
Hello ArmyJudge, Thank you very much for your prompt response. Even if I were to break my lease, at this time I don't have too many viable options to secure a rental property with comaparable rent and space in my desired locality. I am asking the landlord to pay for my move and stay at a hotel till such times that the repairs are completed. In addition, I am asking the landlord to refund rent for this month that I have alrady paid in advance.
Do you think this is unreasonable or do I need to retain an attorney to secure landlord's acceptance of these terms.
Thanks

sampit said:
Hello ArmyJudge, Thank you very much for your prompt response. Even if I were to break my lease, at this time I don't have too many viable options to secure a rental property with comaparable rent and space in my desired locality. I am asking the landlord to pay for my move and stay at a hotel till such times that the repairs are completed. In addition, I am asking the landlord to refund rent for this month that I have alrady paid in advance.
Do you think this is unreasonable or do I need to retain an attorney to secure landlord's acceptance of these terms.
Thanks

The landlord is under no obligation to agree to your demands. They seem fair to me, but his agreement is what you need.

Wait until he responds.
He might make a counter-offer.

You might want to speak with a couple of attorneys just in case you and the landlord can't reach an acceptable compromise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Think of it this way(not trying to be disrespectful) if this was your house would you not deal with the inconvenience of making necessary repairs? At least you as a renter have the option of leaving.from what I've read it doesn't seem like your landlord has been negligent in his duties so requesting compensation is not warranted.

If this has been going on for six years, than why did you renew each year? So you are aware of the problems and what comes with it. So now you want something for your inconvenience?
LL has done repairs within a reasonable time, it takes days to fix that type of problems. Flooding, pipes bursting cannot be fixed in 2 -3 days.
What you need is renter insurance. It could provide a hotel for you.
If you don't have renter insurance, buy a radio with head set, wrap a blanket around you, and relax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back