Relocation

S

SamSem

Jurisdiction
Georgia
I have been divorced from my ex-husband since 2012. I have recently remarried and we are due to relocate to Hawaii in April because of a military PCS. I'm currently drafting a relocation letter however, I'm fearful that he may fight the move out of spite. He does not have verifiable employment, nor does he have his own residence. He has a history of dui and alcohol dependency. I do not have my own source of income or employment lined up once the move happens but will be able to obtain employment within a short time after the move. With all of this taken into consideration how likely am I to maintain custody should he file an objection? Thanks for any advice.

With all of this taken into consideration how likely am I to maintain custody should he file an objection?

Smart people know not to handicap or predict the outcomes of any judicial proceeding.

All you can do is present your side, he presents his side, the judge will decide.

Know this, in many cases a person in your position gets tagged with paying the expenses to transport the child from your home to the home of the other party.

Will that happen in your situation?

You'll learn that answer after the judge has ruled.

While no one can predict the future, if you have full or primary custody now, your chances of being permitted to relocate the children based on military orders are better than average. Judges are well aware that Uncle Sam does not particularly care where service members would prefer to live.

Back