Refund Law

L

Lcarterrn@2017

Jurisdiction
Alabama
Can the car dealership refuse to return my down payment for a used vechicle I returned within 30 days and I have not signed any contract on. I was having issues with the vehicle from the first day and requested for another vehicle or refund down payment. The dealership refused both options. I was very willing to just get another vehicle but because the dealership refused me either or I do not care to any future business with these people. I feel they are rude unprofessional and trying to scam me out of my hard honest money

I don't believe there is a specific law. You could take them to small claims court and possibly win, but they would likely counterclaim for any damage to the vehicle and for miles you drove the vehicle and possibly a rental fee. Soo, depending on the amount of the down payment and how long you had the vehicle, you may not end up with much even if you do prevail. It's puzzling though how you had a vehicle for any length of time that you state you have not signed any contract on.

Can the car dealership refuse to return my down payment for a used vechicle I returned within 30 days and I have not signed any contract on.

You don't have to sign a contract to have a contract. Although I can't imagine any car dealer turning a car loose without you signing something.

Bottom line, though, is that you paid the down payment, you took the car, you agreed to some sort of payment arrangement for the balance. That's an enforceable contract.

There are no refunds or cancellations unless your contract says there are.

And, unless you got a warranty, you bought the car AS IS.

You won't be entitled to a refund unless they resell the car for the price you agreed to. If they end up selling it for less after trying to sell it for the original price, your down payment goes to make up the difference. That's a basic part of contract law. If your down payment doesn't cover the difference, you could be on the hook for more money and be sued for it.

I was very willing to just get another vehicle but because the dealership refused me either or I do not care to any future business with these people.

You might not have a choice.

I feel they are rude unprofessional and trying to scam me out of my hard honest money

That's probably true. But it's not going to help you.

Back