Received a Court hearing for disordely Behavior in Park

N

NYC_QUEENS

Jurisdiction
New York
Hello,

Last month i received a pink slip from COPs that said: disordely Behavior in Park
In violation of section 1-04(L), it tells me to present myself to court on 11/10/2016 for a hearing.

What should i expect?? Will i go to jail for this??

Please, any information will be appreciated it a lot!

Thank you for your time!

1.04(L) is a section of the NYC Parks Rules and Regulations:

Disorderly Behavior
It shall be a violation of these rules to engage in disorderly behavior in a park. A person in any park shall be guilty of disorderly behavior who:

1. enters or leaves any park except by designated entrance ways or exits, or enters or attempts to enter any facility, area or building sealed, locked or otherwise restricted from public access; or
  2. climbs upon any wall, fence, shelter, tree, shrub, fountain or other vegetation, or any structure or statue not specifically intended for climbing purposes; or
  3. gains or attempts to gain admittance to the facilities in any park for the use of which charge is made without paying such charge; or
  4. engages in any form of gambling or game of chance for money, or tells fortunes for money; or
  5. interferes with, encumbers, obstructs or renders dangerous any part of a park or park road; obstructs vehicular or pedestrian traffic; or
  6. engages in fighting or assaults any person; or
  7. engages in a course of conduct or commits acts that unreasonably alarm or seriously annoy another person; or
  8. engages in any form of sexual activity; or
  9. engages in a course of conduct or commits acts that endanger the safety of others.

Which one did you do?

From Section 1-07 Penalties:

Any violation of these Rules other than Rule 1-04 (b)(1)(i) shall constitute a misdemeanor triable by the Criminal Court of the City of New York and punishable by not more than ninety days imprisonment or by a fine of not more than $1,000, or by both, in accordance with § 533(a)(9) of Chapter 21 of the New York City Charter.

There's no way to predict what will happen when you go to court but if you don't want a criminal record I suggest you consult an attorney.

Especially since there could be jail time involved.

With all due respect Jack, there is no possibility of jail time.

All criminal summonses are adjudicated by Judicial Hearing Officers, most of whom are retired judges. They have no jurisdiction in misdemeanor cases, so it's pretty much automatic that the charge gets handled as a violation right off the bat.

And yes, violations can have a penalty of up to 15 days in jail, but that ain't happening in the Big Apple.

I will assume that based upon the OP's name that the incident took place in Queens and that he will be attending court at 120-55 Queens Blvd. I haven't been there in a few years, but if the system works the same then this will be treated as a minor violation where the defendant will be given the opportunity to plead guilty to a non-specific Administrative Code violation and be given a small fine.

Upon arrival and check-in the defendant will be asked to sign a waiver permitting his case to be heard by a JHO instead of a regular judge. That is standard procedure and will certainly result in the case being heard quickly with a minor penalty.

With all due respect Jack, there is no possibility of jail time.

All criminal summonses are adjudicated by Judicial Hearing Officers, most of whom are retired judges. They have no jurisdiction in misdemeanor cases, so it's pretty much automatic that the charge gets handled as a violation right off the bat.

And yes, violations can have a penalty of up to 15 days in jail, but that ain't happening in the Big Apple.

I will assume that based upon the OP's name that the incident took place in Queens and that he will be attending court at 120-55 Queens Blvd. I haven't been there in a few years, but if the system works the same then this will be treated as a minor violation where the defendant will be given the opportunity to plead guilty to a non-specific Administrative Code violation and be given a small fine.

Upon arrival and check-in the defendant will be asked to sign a waiver permitting his case to be heard by a JHO instead of a regular judge. That is standard procedure and will certainly result in the case being heard quickly with a minor penalty.

So what happen was that me an my partner parked outside this park and we were in the car together in the back, when police officers came in and first asked why the car was on, then they made allegation that we were having sex, which in no way happen, so they have me the pink slip and now i have to present to court.\

Please, what should i expect? I am very worried because i do not want to go to jail since it will damage my record to apply fro citizenship, this is my first ever offense.

Please let me know what should i expect, if i will go to jail or pay a fine(how much).

Thank you for your time i appreciate it,

That's ridiculous - why are you posting under multiple user names?

I already answered your question - try reading what was already posted.

Highwayman,

I did not take anyones thread, i am the same guy who began the thread, i just created an account so i could reply.

Thank you

Highwayman gave you advice, nothing more to tell you, except read every word.

I'll only add, PRANKING anyone these days is a way to get KILLED.

Don't prank anyone, especially the police.

The police have real crime, and dangerous criminals to catch.

Be smart, leave the police alone, unless you want to receive a "double tap" center mass, usually to the left chest, as in YOUR heart.

Yes, I've double tapped a few times in my life, not to pranksters, trust me, you don't want to ever receive a "double tap" center mass, mate.

Back