Receipt for cash payment

G

Gfab

Jurisdiction
Maryland
I had a repair done at a dealership and I paid cash for the repair and I don't know what I did with the receipt and now the dealership is saying that they never received payment, and because I can produce a receipt they are saying that I have to pay them again. I have my vehicle and it has been over 3 months since this happened. What is my position in this matter they are treating legal action against me because they are saying that I can't produce a stamped receipt.

"When is the last time a dealership handed over the keys and released a vehicle they worked on without payment?"

The answer, never.

I would tell them to review the cashier camera view from that day (if it still exists) and prove to you that they released the vehicle without you paying. Prediction: they won't be able to.

I would go further and put it in writing and I wouldn't assume they have a camera.
The letter should state that you paid in cash in exchange for the keys to your vehicle, as it was your understanding that they would not release your vehicle without payment. You should not be required to prove that you paid by producing a receipt. The transaction was complete when you drove away.

I had a repair done at a dealership and I paid cash for the repair and I don't know what I did with the receipt and now the dealership is saying that they never received payment, and because I can produce a receipt they are saying that I have to pay them again. I have my vehicle and it has been over 3 months since this happened. What is my position in this matter they are treating legal action against me because they are saying that I can't produce a stamped receipt.

It'll be difficult for you to prove you paid if you are sued.

However, that's all you've got, mate.

If sued, you defend by offering the explanation you posted here.

The burden of proof is on the plaintiff. They need to prove you did not pay for the car repair. I would call their bluff and surely would not pay them another cent.

It goes against all common sense and the history of these types of transactions that they handed over your keys and released the vehicle without payment. <- that would be my defense.

Out of curiosity, what is the dollar amount in question?

Back