Reasonable restitution requests

Jurisdiction
California
I'm a Victim in some criminal cases and submitting a claim for restitution consisting solely of therapy expenses. The Victim Advocate told me that I can request future expenses in addition to those already incurred along with a letter backing up the request from my current provider. My provider has written one with the estimate that it will take several more years of therapy before I return to my baseline level of mental health.

Now, here's the question. I currently have insurance that partially pays for these sessions, but in the future I plan to move out of state, at which point I won't be able to use insurance but will continue to pay the same provider completely out of pocket. Can my estimate be based on these out of pocket costs for therapy or do they need to be based on what I currently pay, which is just the copay?

Also, any information about how the judge reviews and decides on restitution would be helpful. I know nothing of the procedure surrounding it but would like to know more. Thank you.

Back