Quit Claim Deeds and Getting Sued

Status
Not open for further replies.

okcmizzou

I bought a property with my ex-girlfriend 7 years ago. We decided not to stay together and I explained to her that if she wasn't going to pay for the house with me I did not want her on the deed. She signed the quit claim deed and assumed that this would somehow get her off the loan. I have tried to refinance this as she wants her name off the loan. The house did not appraise for enough for the refinancing to go through. She is now talking about taking legal action. She has never paid a dime on the house. I am wondering what legal rights she would have if any. Thanks for your time.

I doubt she has any-- so long as you can prove you have tried to remove her name from the loan and she has not lost any $$ this is her own problem for signing on the house in the first place-- alteast your paying for it-- Let her sue you ( not sure for what) the jusge will just tell you to keep trying to refinance one the value is there

I agree. She signed the quit claim anticipating that a third party, the bank, would release her from the mortgage. You can (and it sounds like you did) make good faith efforts to have her taken off, but you're ultimately not responsible for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back