Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Question regarding civil/municipal infractions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DennyCraine

Long story short I'm 18, in Illinois, stole some condoms, not gonna give you the whole "I deeply regret this I'm so so so so sorry" speech because groveling to strangers obviously won't change anything. It was dumb and clearly not worth it anyways I got 'detained' by a cop, he took me to the station but did not arrest me, ultimately he said this was not going to be a misdemeanor charge but a municipal infraction or some similar term where the city lawyer would be against me and said it was not a criminal charge. I'm confused and worried because I've been reading about typical punishments for shoplifting and its frankly appalling that anyone can get jail time or even hundreds of dollars in fines for less then 10 bucks of merchandise. This is my first offense and I am getting a lawyer I just wanted to see if any of you knew the possible punishments for a municipal infraction and if it's going to be on my criminal record. Thanks

Infractions are like traffic tickets. However without a penal code or the like we cannot say much more than that.

Just as a note: The hundreds of dollars you find appalling is a drop in the bucket compared to what retailers lose each year to shoplifting alone. Visit the NASP website. they have much valueable info there

where would I find the appropriate penal code? I really don't know what I'm looking for. Nor do I have a proper understanding of my situation it's all really confusing, I'm scared because I don't want to end up going to jail or something for something so dumb and petty.

Retailers dont find it "dumb or petty" However no one goes to jail over an infraction! If your case is only an infraction jail is not an option

thank you for the info, I'm pretty sure it is just an infraction, i hope so at least. And in the large scope of things I think everyone can consider petty theft to be...well, petty. Even if it hurts their wallets it is a ridiculous notion to say that an otherwise law abiding individual is deserving of hundreds of dollars in punitive actions or even jail time for less than 200 bucks in merchandise. Honestly loss of freedom for petty theft isn't very far below the policy of Saudi Arabia where theft results in getting your hand cut off.

DennyCraine said:
\ Even if it hurts their wallets it is a ridiculous notion to say that an otherwise law abiding individual is deserving of hundreds of dollars in punitive actions or even jail time for less than 200 bucks in merchandise. Honestly loss of freedom for petty theft isn't very far below the policy of Saudi Arabia where theft results in getting your hand cut off.

Says the thief. Try being the person/place being stolen from you'd change your turne real quick.

And theft is not a real big problemin Saudi Arabia, since you either never do it twice, or are smart enough to not do it in the 1st place for fear of losing a hand. Perhaps they have the right idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back