Published Negative Article

adalinebowman

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
Hi,

I need some guidance/advice…

Can an article about a legal matter be removed completely from an internet search? If so, is there a certain time frame someone has to wait? What if the article is true, but has damaging effects such as someone getting bullied about it? Please advise, thanks!

Last edited:
Your post is bereft of any information regarding your friend's history, the contents of the article, and who is currently doing what to her.

Of course, none of that should be posted here or on any internet site.

All I can suggest is that your friend consult a defamation attorney for a thorough review of the situation, and obtain a professional opinion about what, if anything, can be done about it.

Your post is bereft of any information regarding your friend's history, the contents of the article, and who is currently doing what to her.

Of course, none of that should be posted here or on any internet site.

All I can suggest is that your friend consult a defamation attorney for a thorough review of the situation, and obtain a professional opinion about what, if anything, can be done about it.

thank you- I revised my post before seeing this comment.

Hi,

I need some guidance/advice…

Can an article about a legal matter be removed completely from an internet search?

That's up to the internet forum being used unless the material violates copyright law or violates some other law, like making specific threats of violence against other people, etc. In that case, the forum has to take the post down.

Note that even if the site takes it down voluntarily some search engines cache pages for a certain period of time so the post could potentially be found by others.

What if the article is true, but has damaging effects such as someone getting bullied about it?
All I can suggest is that your friend consult a defamation attorney

If the article is true then posting it or communicating its content would not constitute defamation.

But if the person is being bullied, stalked, threatened, or harassed then it may be wise to talk to the local police.

Can an article about a legal matter be removed completely from an internet search?

In the abstract world of all that is hypothetical, I suppose this is possible, but this question raises no legal issue. It's a tech matter.

If so, is there a certain time frame someone has to wait?

Huh?

What if the article is true, but has damaging effects such as someone getting bullied about it?

I don't really understand the "what if" form of the question.

If you have a legal concern, I suggest posting the relevant facts and then asking your question.

Back