Public humiliation by manager

T

Tallon027

Jurisdiction
Georgia
I took the boys to the Harry Potter party. One of the boys wrote a cute little I love you note and gave it to a random girl. The little girl asked him if he videoed it. He said no. She said " good I look awful" she giggled and trotted off. About an hour later. The little girls parents and shift manager came up to my wife and I and demanded to see the little boy that was video taping her daughter. I recognized the girl and told the parents they were not video taping her and it's not a crime to record people at a public event. The dad got in my face and said well it's illegal to me. I was upset now. And the other manager came. He asked what the problem was? I said that these people just got in my face and accused the boys of doing something they didn't. I even told the dad it wasn't smart to get in people's face. If he did it to a cop he'd be put on his face. Then the dad got in my face again. The police showed up and after the smoke cleared. I was the one banned from Barnes and noble and the manager wanted me arrested. Really?!?! Barnes and Noble you should watch the tape back and see who was the aggressor. The manager publicly accused me and my family of something I know we didn't do. My family and I was publicly humiliated. Then banned from the property. I did get loud but I felt since they publicly accused me I needed to publicly defend myself and my family. Do I have any legal recourse for this harassment.

I suggest you remain calm, call the police, and avoid "self help" remedies, if this ever occurs in the future.

Your children were watching.

How do you think this made all of the children feel, seeing a couple of adult bulls butting heads, locking antlers at a public event?

Do I have any legal recourse for this harassment.

No. What you describe does not meet the legal definition of harassment and you have no long term damages.

You felt like you needed to defend yourself and you got loud. That was your choice. "He started it" doesn't work past kindergarten. Let it go.

The banning from the store was likely due to your demeanor when they approached you about it, not about the alleged video.
It was apparently not an argument worth having. Personally, I wouldn't have even talked to them when they came whining.
If you feel you were treated unfairly or rudely you can make a complaint to the store, but there appears to be no legal issue.

Back