Public assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

David061689

Hello,
I am on public assistance because I was put into a drug program and I cannot work. Medicaid pays for the treatment program but they recommended a halfway house which I need public assistance for. I have been on public assistance for a few months and it is time for me to recertify. I have since came into about 2500 dollars and no longer want to be in the halfway house or on public assistance. My question is will they take the 2500 as back pay and keep me on assistance to pay for the halfway house or will they terminate the public assistance and let me go on my way.
Thank you in advance for your help

Hello,
I am on public assistance because I was put into a drug program and I cannot work. Medicaid pays for the treatment program but they recommended a halfway house which I need public assistance for. I have been on public assistance for a few months and it is time for me to recertify. I have since came into about 2500 dollars and no longer want to be in the halfway house or on public assistance. My question is will they take the 2500 as back pay and keep me on assistance to pay for the halfway house or will they terminate the public assistance and let me go on my way.
Thank you in advance for your help

If you are on public aid, you are required to report certain windfalls. I suggest you check with your caseworker. Common sense tells me, they'll want all or part of your windfall, if they learn about it.

Agree. You have to report any assets/income received while on public assistance.

I have to recertify next Thursday and I will tell them about it my question is will they try to take the money or just deny me for the assistance

I have to recertify next Thursday and I will tell them about it my question is will they try to take the money or just deny me for the assistance

You probably won't be denied, but you might be penalized in some regard. However, it all depends on how you came into the windfall. Your caseworker will be best suited to tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back