Privacy

Patty Ceee

Jurisdiction
New York
My adult daughter, age 37, no longer lives with me and is not on my rental lease. She has been chronically recording me without my permission in my apartment. She refuses to stop. What can I do?

It's legal to record the conversation without your consent.

An individual who is a party to either an in-person conversation or electronic communication, or who has the consent of one of the parties to the communication, can lawfully record it or disclose its contents. N.Y. Penal Law §§ 250.00, 250.05 (McKinney 2012).

You can check the NY Penal Code to see if that's still the law.

As a point of clarification, bear in mind that the NY law on recording, as with others states, is for recording audio, not photographs or video without sound. In every state there is typically no legal restrictions on recording video or taking photographs so long as they are taking the pictures from a place they are allowed to be.

But while the recording would be legal to do, you control what happens in your home. If she won't stop recording while she's there, you are within your rights to demand she leave and to prevent her from entering your home. In short, you don't have to put up with it and taking a firm stance on the issue may be what's needed for her to give up this kind of intrusive activity.

My adult daughter, age 37, no longer lives with me and is not on my rental lease. She has been chronically recording me without my permission in my apartment. She refuses to stop. What can I do?

Just don't let her in your home and if she comes over and you don't want here there, call the police for her trespassing.

Back