Pregnant by a random stranger-HIV-state assistance

W

WWBB

Jurisdiction
Tennessee
I am 24 weeks pregnant. From January-March I stupidly had relations with several men I met on Tinder. I was diagnosed as HIV positive when I was 12 weeks. I have lost contact and have no way to find any of them. Of course I'm terrified for my baby's health-my question is, if I apply for public assistance through families first how will it be handled when I have no information on the father of my child?

Before you judge me for accepting welfare, I have been feeling sick lately and at least until I can get used to this illness I want my to make sure my child is cared for-she is my utmost concern. I recently got approved for SSDI.

HIV is a disease.
I don't judge people who become ill.
HIV Test Window Periods - San Francisco AIDS Foundation
The government agencies will ask about who may have been the father.
You'll answer truthfully as you've reported here, you just don't know.
That'll be the end of it, you just don't know.
Even government bureaucrats know when not to give a person crap.
You're facing a couple traumatic things.
You believe you'll develop AIDS.
HIV doesn't always lead to that drastic end.
Some people fend off the HIV virus, an example is Magic Johnson, former NBA star turned entrepreneur.

So, get good medical care for you and the child.
Apply for assistance.
Take care of yourself, and remember you don't know what you don't know.
God bless.

I don't judge people. But if I were going to judge you, I'd be far more concerned with your having sex with random people you don't know than with applying for assistance. Sweetheart, that's just not safe, and I'm talking about so much more than just HIV. You could have been killed. You deserve better than that, don't you?

Just tell the truth. That's all you can do.

I am 24 weeks pregnant. From January-March I stupidly had relations with several men I met on Tinder. I was diagnosed as HIV positive when I was 12 weeks. I have lost contact and have no way to find any of them. Of course I'm terrified for my baby's health-my question is, if I apply for public assistance through families first how will it be handled when I have no information on the father of my child?

Before you judge me for accepting welfare, I have been feeling sick lately and at least until I can get used to this illness I want my to make sure my child is cared for-she is my utmost concern. I recently got approved for SSDI.
Why would anyone judge you for getting on assistance? Hopefully you learned a lesson about not meeting people off Tinder and having so many casual sexual encounters. This isn't to be harsh but there was a story about a single father who was murdered by a woman he met online and this woman set him up on purpose. You have to be careful.

Prenatal care is extremely important in your case. you are going to need to come clean with your doctor about your HIV status and that you do not know who the father is as that can impact what tests are performed.

If you are disabled, and unable to financially or medically care for a child, at least consider adoption. Raising a child on your own is tough enough when you are healthy and financially secure. At the very least you need to have a plan in place for said child in the event that you are no longer able to care for him or her due to your own health.

I would try really hard to figure out who these dudes are and identify a father. For one, that guy should be helping to support his child, and two, if you are HIV positive, it is quite possible you infected one or more of these guys.

Back