Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Possible identity theft

Status
Not open for further replies.

articbird

I have just recently found out through a credit report company that my son has been applying and receiving loans with my information such as ssn and birthday without me knowing. These accounts are still open and active. He is on probation now so if I were to report him doing this would this break his probation and he goes to jail? Or will he just get a fine and no other ramifications? there are multiple loans with varying amounts with the address in three different states. Iowa, California, and Pennsylvania

Well, the long and short of it is that you can either report the crime to the police, or suck it up and take responsibility for the loans. What he has done is likely a felony - a series of felonies - and he could be in big trouble. If you let him get away with it, he'll just keep doing it.

- Carl

I agree either report him and call the credit companies ASAP and report the fraud so he is not responsible, or he has to suck it up and pay it and see if he can get his son to re-pay him (doubtful though). I see no benefit in protecting his son who is going to keep doing this. He apparantly does not learn.

Well the loans are dated back to 1994... is it to late to call the creditors to fix it or is there still time? and will he be facing jail time if reported?

Fixing it will almost certainly require the police. Most lenders are not going to just wipe the debt clean without a reported crime. Now, if you want to adopt the debt and close the accounts, you can probably do that. But, if you want them to take action to benefit you, don't count on it unless the police are involved.

If there is substantial liability involved here, you may want to get an attorney involved.

- Carl

should we get all the info from the lenders before we go to the police or will the police get that stuff for us?

The police will want as much information from you as possible. They will also want to know dates, account numbers, when you first noticed these accounts, etc.

- Carl

You have not run your credit report for 14 years? So much time has passed some of those accts are probably too old to dispute. Call the police and see what the statute of limitations is.

Depending on the states involved, the SOL may toll from the time of discovery. Additionally, identity theft also tolls from the time of discovery and can be reported locally even if the crime/theft occurred elsewhere.

- Carl

id theft is a serious crimes. it could federal crimes and they are not going to taking easy cause of he is a son of a the father. many victim have falling in to id theft and alot of money have been spent on fighting identy theft and prevention. so it is up to the father. first i would talk to the son and make him repay. i think reporting could damage father and son relationship. so it is up to his father.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back