Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication Possession of a controlled substance

Status
Not open for further replies.

kairos

My boyfriend got arrested last night at work. He was working at a retail store and found a bottle of 90 hydros that was left at one of the registers. I guess he wasn't thinking at all, because we have cameras everywhere, but he snatched it and took it out to his car. Of course, the customer came back for it, and he got busted. They arrested him, searched his car, and took him to jail. I haven't been able to talk to him at all to know what he's been told. We called the jail he's being held at and they told us that he won't be able to get out until Monday, because the arrest happened on a Friday night and the judge doesn't set bail on the weekends. They also told us that he was being charged with 'Possession of a controlled substance, first offense'.

That is all that I know. I know he can't afford a lawyer, and I need to know what he's facing. We are located in KY, US and he's 20 years old. I've looked through the website, but I can't find anything about what the possible penalties might be. Any kind of advice or information would be very helpful.

Also, if it is considered a misdemeanor (I don't know whether it is or not), how will that affect his ability to get a new job? Are there other aspects of his life this will hinder?

Thanks for your help.

Well that charge isn't related to the theft of the bottle. He might of had narcotics on his person or in his vehicle when the police did there search. Being arrest will always effect your job but it depends if it was a felony or misd. cause that would make a huge diffrence.

Well it turns out they charged him for theft, also. So it is considered a Class D Felony. Most people are telling him not to worry, that he will probably only get probation, and a fine or community service. We have 3 weeks until his court date and I just want to make sure he stays out of jail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back