Please HELP! Absent Schizophrenic Disabled Father Wants Custody, hearing is in a week

Status
Not open for further replies.

sashaanthony13

My son's father has Schizoaffective Bipolar Disorder, and is on SSDI for it. He doesn't work more than 6 hours a week, can't show a good track record, is an alcoholic, and has a past drug charge. What are the chance's he'll get unsupervised visitation, considering he's been absent the duration of the child's life, and has no previous experience with children? My fiance would love to adopt the child, yet we highly doubt they'll allow us to do that.

Last edited:
So you get pregnant from a guy you barely know but yet managed to avoid pregnancy for 5 years your fiancee for 9 years? WOW. With that said, this guy as the father will have some rights. His previous DUI, or lack of a car does not matter. Many parents have DUI's that is not a big deal. CPS is not going to do anything because this guy has not harmed the baby. You had a baby with him, time to accept the fact he is dAd and he likely will get visitations with the child. He probably is not going to get custody but he is entitled to visits. His mother has every right to fight for the grandchild. You need an attorney. I do not see how this man should be able to get custody since he is not capable of even taking care of himself but if his mother fights for him, and you are ordered to comply, you have to follow.

Start calling around for an attorney. So how did this guy even find out you were pregnant? You had other options besides having this baby, now that you had a baby with him, figure out how you are going to deal with him for 18 years.

So you get pregnant from a guy you barely know but yet managed to avoid pregnancy for 5 years your fiancee for 9 years? WOW. With that said, this guy as the father will have some rights. His previous DUI, or lack of a car does not matter. Many parents have DUI's that is not a big deal. CPS is not going to do anything because this guy has not harmed the baby. You had a baby with him, time to accept the fact he is dAd and he likely will get visitations with the child. He probably is not going to get custody but he is entitled to visits. His mother has every right to fight for the grandchild. You need an attorney. I do not see how this man should be able to get custody since he is not capable of even taking care of himself but if his mother fights for him, and you are ordered to comply, you have to follow.

Start calling around for an attorney. So how did this guy even find out you were pregnant? You had other options besides having this baby, now that you had a baby with him, figure out how you are going to deal with him for 18 years.

http://forum.freeadvice.com/child-c...sent-father-wants-full-custody-493967-p2.html

Basically, my son's Dad, and his attorney, feel they can justify an entire custody change, by falsly claiming that I'm mentally instable. He wants primary, juristiction, and to give me visitation, and myself pay him child support.

On the other hand, this guy truely is, schizo, bipolar, and has been on disability since 18 for it, hasn't supported the child, can't take care of himself, and has chosen to be absent during the child's life. Isn't that just cause for supervised visitation?

Last edited:
The FATHER has been under no legal obligation to support the child up to this point. You haven't bothered pursuing it, so you don't get to complain now.

And, on what group have you been reamed for having the child? Certainly not in any of my posts.

I've talked to CPS and filed a Prevention Referall, I've talked to the DCF investigator that got called out on me while I was with this guy. I've talked to family court services, legal aid, and they all say request supervised. There's lots of good dads, and great people in this world, but he's just not one of them. I wish he could say he moved on, is working, is stable, got a new girl, but he didn't. My DCF Investigator did say it raises a serious concern if the Dad himself needs a guardian.

Last edited:
His mother has no obligation to pay support, support will come from the father. Again you really need an attorney to prove the man is mentally unstable and that he is a danger to the child. I agree that Dad should only have supervised visits but this is why women should not have babies with mentally ill men. I feel for the child. You need skilled counsel.

I wish I could get a lawyer, that would have definitely made it all easier. I wish I could just have dealt with the father, but that's impossible with his mother intervening. Our time together was short, I thought I did the right thing by leaving. Either way, it's sticky for all involved. While I'm accused of bashing, I feel I've just stated truth. Honestly, if something happens to my son, how on earth could I live with it knowing I didn't at least try to protect him?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back