Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Petty theft under $500

Sue Mae

Jurisdiction
Louisiana
My court date is next week for theft of goods under $500 which the total cost was $30. I'm scared to go to court because I'm scared that I'll go to jail. I just don't know what to expect or do.

My court date is next week for theft of goods under $500 which the total cost was $30. I'm scared to go to court because I'm scared that I'll go to jail. I just don't know what to expect or do.

Don't miss your court date. Missing court ensures you might receive that you don't want, jail.

So, appear, plead not guilty, hire a lawyer or request a public defender, work with your lawyer to lessen the pain.

If convicted or if you plea in such matters, you generally receive fines, costs, fees (which you can pay over time to eliminate), community service (maybe), probation, behave yourself, this will end in three to six months.

You're innocent until proven guilty, or you plead guilty and take a deal.
Good luck.

Don't miss your court date. Missing court ensures you might receive that you don't want, jail.

So, appear, plead not guilty, hire a lawyer or request a public defender, work with your lawyer to lessen the pain.

If convicted or if you plea in such matters, you generally receive fines, costs, fees (which you can pay over time to eliminate), community service (maybe), probation, behave yourself, this will end in three to six months.

You're innocent until proven guilty, or you plead guilty and take a deal.
Good luck.
Even if it's my first offense plead Not guilty?

And if I plead guilty what would that do ?
When you plead guilty, you are ADMITTING that you did what you have been charged with doing.
Any criminal defendant, including yourself, is INNOCENT until convicted or pleading guilty.
You are free to PLEAD GUILTY and throw your carcass upon the court's mercy, which is often non-existent!

I am a Retail Theft Consultant and answer questions like yours daily. Pleading guilty is second worst thing you can do. Its like signing a blank check. Talk to a Lawyer and when you do ask about plea options like ACD or Diversion to protect your record. If available this can protect your record. Long as you have no prior crimes jail is VERY unlikely

Back