Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Petty Theft 484(a) - CA (1st time offense- please help!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparklepie

I am 21 years old and a college student. I was caught shoplifting $57 worth of items in a local Vons. The security guards showed me their badgess and said, "there's some items you didn't pay for in your backpack," as they led me to the back of the store.

I was not really questioned. The security officer, who was wearing red, started filling out alot of paperwork with my information, and he wrote down details of the incident. He had his partner take a polaroid of me, as well as a polaroid of the items, as well as a polaroid of the items & my backpack. I honestly cannot even remember if they asked me to a sign a document or not because the men were so big that I was terrified to death and have never even been put in this situation before. Not to mention, I was starving, miserable, they had people who were shopping in the store walk to the back since i was sitting near the bathrooms... & they purposely wasted the time (it seemed), as the two security guards kept chatting with the Vons supervisor about getting drunk and other activities for 3 hours. Finally, the police arrived and he handcuffed me. Vons and the guards said they wanted to press charges. We walked through the store (humiliating) to the police car parked in the Vons parking lot, where he read me my rights inside the car. As I cried relentlessly, the officer said, "It's okay..." but he handed me a citation. He told me that because it's my first offense, I would probably get a fine, although it's possible that that could be suspended, too.

It was a 484a marked on the citation. They claim that more is coming in the mail, but I am only in San Diego for 2 more weeks, so will it arrive in time? Please write back! Any advice would be helpful, so please reply!

Btw, I know Vons is supposed to mail something separately, but if they don't... then what happens? I'm afraid to call them, I'm hoping maybe they just forgot considering the Vons is just down the street from my house... I would have thought they'd have mailed it by now!

I have read a similar situation in a different forum and they suggested you try and go to the court where you will be charged and find out if they can move your court date or something so you dont miss the court date.Its bad when you miss it.See if you can approach the police who arrested you and ask if he can suggest anything.goodluck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back