paying support on someone elses child

Status
Not open for further replies.

superpowers

i married my ex wife when she was knowledgably pregnant with another man's child. she had the child after we were married, and at the hospital in the rush of everything i signed her papers as the father. she knows where the biological father is, but is out for blood and i am now paying her child support. there is no way she will let me give up my rights, and she even admited in the court during our custody hearing that it wasn't my child. the judge just smirked and ordered back support on him. he is now 3 years old. what are the chances that i can get it resended without a lawyer? and whats a ballpark of what a lawyer will charge? money is tight, but i dont think its tight enough for legal aid.

Sorry pal, but you should not have acknowledged paternity on a child that you knew was not yours.

You married her, knowing she was pregnant, and you therefore are the legal father. You only have a very limited time frame after the birth to dispute paternity. You are the only child this father knows and you acknowledged it when he was born. Now it is too late to say you don't want responsibility for him. It's time to understand you are his legal dad, you are paying support, and get a visitation schedule set up for him.

he doesnt know me, we split up a few months after he was born. i do have visitation, but hes not my child, so i dont see a point in faking that i am his father when his real father is in the same town and deserves to have his real father. its not that i want to skip out on my responsiblities, i didn't know i was TAKING responsiblity.

You signed the paperwork, and you could have disputed paternity at the time you split in possibly enough time. You need a good attorney that can help you if you want to get out of this. Maybe you can encourage the bio father (though it is unknown if he is the bio father since he has not taken a DNA test) to come forward and ask for paternity testing.

tell the courts you want to take a dna test. i don't see how you would still have to pay with a dna test result. but each state may be different

Bukshot DNA does not matter. She was pregnant when they married. In most states you are the legal father if your wife gives birth if you are married to her, even if you are not the bio father. He did not dispute paternity in enough time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back